TMP — Another Letdown

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. Are you ready for another rant about WordPress?

On Sunday I was really excited that the WordPress iOS app version 17.0 was available for uploading. I figured that by now, five and a half months after releasing version 16.0 last November, and with 11 interim releases up to 16.11, version 17.0, a major release, would surely have fixed the annoying bug that surfaced in version 16.0. I installed the new version, tried it, and the problem was not fixed. So I reached out to the “hapless” engineers. I wrote…

This morning I was very psyched to upload WP-iOS version 17.0, thinking that, after more than five months since the release of version 16.0, a new major release will have finally fixed the problem. But yet again, disappointment, frustration, and anger. I’ve had countless exchanges with various happiness engineers over the past five-plus months, explaining the bug, providing screenshots, and even a video clip illustrating the issue. Over the months I have been told that the developers had been able to replicate the issue and were working on a fix. Meanwhile. You keep on releasing enhancements to that stupid block editor that few people like, you add the head-scratching ability to mark a post as “seen,” a functionality whose value I can’t understand, and add a SnapChat or Instagram-like “stories” feature that most bloggers don’t want or need. But you have still failed to fix a critical bug in your iOS app. WTF, WordPress?

I got a response yesterday saying…

I’m sorry to know it’s not working for you even after updating to the latest version of the WordPress app. We’re not able to reproduce this with our own test sites/accounts. Can we have your permission to log in to your WordPress.com account on the app to perform testing for troubleshooting purposes?

What? After all this time, they’ve done nothing? We’re back to square one. I gave them permission to log in to my account and this morning I saw this…

Thank you for giving us the permission to access your account. I was able to reproduce this on your account and my test account. I have reported this to our developers for a fix.

So, how likely is it that you think this will be my last post complaing about this as yet unresolved bug in the WordPress iOS app?

24 thoughts on “TMP — Another Letdown

1. Paula Light April 12, 2021 / 2:35 pm

They’re idiots. I have to keep logging in every time I want to hit like or comment from my phone browser. So ridiculous!

2. Marilyn Armstrong April 12, 2021 / 3:09 pm

They never fix anything. They just keep “updating” it and leave the bugs in place. That’s a LOT of what’s wrong with them. They don’t take care of business.

3. jilldennison April 12, 2021 / 11:46 pm

This latest update has totally f*cked the ability to easily insert pictures into a post. I now spend, on average, an additional 15-25 minutes just trying to get my pictures to insert and look halfway right! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I use only the ‘Classic” editor block, and hate that every time I turn around, they are trying to force me into their bloody block editor that takes away all my controls! Have these people never heard of customer service, of the notion that “the customer is always right”???

4. RuthScribbles April 13, 2021 / 7:16 am

Morons they are. I used to be able to like from the email notifications or comment-that is broken too especially with safari. Grrrr

5. Melanie B Cee April 13, 2021 / 9:21 am

I’d say the chances are excellent that we’ll hear more about this in the future. Because you’ll, unfortunately, encounter SSDD. I groused at them when I couldn’t get my images to load properly (even using the classic editor) and I got a canned response back. Since things had straightened out, I just tossed it. Not worth the bother really. I hold out hope that you make some progress though!

• Fandango April 13, 2021 / 3:05 pm

I’m not going to hold my breath.

6. Carol anne April 13, 2021 / 9:33 pm

why didnt they log in to your account months ago? Gaa! They’re idiots!

7. leigha66 April 17, 2021 / 9:46 am

Maybe the happiness engineers have a beef with Apple and just won’t cooperate with it. It really SUCKS that this issue is not resolved for you and all the other Apple users!