Who Won the Week? 04/11/2021

FWWTWThe idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

Unlike last Sunday, where I was unable to choose a clear winner, this week was easy. The winner this week is Joe Biden, the President of the United States.With more mass shootings and a rise of gun violence in the country, and with Republicans in both Congress and state legislatures refusing to take any action to stem the tide of gun violence, other than with “thoughts and prayers,” Joe Biden acted. He issued a series of executive actions designed to address gun violence. And he pledged to push for sweeping changes to the country’s gun laws.

Biden said, “Gun violence in this country is an epidemic, and it’s an international embarrassment. The idea that we have so many people dying every single day from gun violence in America is a blemish on our character as nation.”

As president, there is very little that Biden can unilaterally do in this case, but he did sign executive actions this past Thursday focusing on some relatively “low hanging fruit.”

The DOJ will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of “ghost guns.” Ghost guns are homemade weapons that are hard to trace and where gun kit buyers don’t have to submit to a background check.

The DOJ will also issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act.

It will also publish model “red flag” legislation for states. Red flag laws allow family members or law enforcement to petition for a court order temporarily barring people in crisis from accessing firearms if they present a danger to themselves or others.

The DOJ will also issue a new annual report on firearms trafficking, which is one way firearms are diverted into the illegal market where they can easily end up in the hands of dangerous individuals.

Biden nominated David Chipman, a veteran of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), where he spent 25 years as a special agent, to serve as ATF director. ATF is the key agency charged with enforcing our gun laws, and it needs a confirmed director in order to do the job to the best of its ability. But ATF has not had a confirmed director since 2015.

These executive actions are just a start — small steps — in the fight to do something about gun violence in America, but they sure beat thoughts and prayers.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

Image credit: Anson Stevens-Bollen

23 thoughts on “Who Won the Week? 04/11/2021

1. Carol anne April 11, 2021 / 10:29 am

its great he did something to try to stop it! It really is out of control in the USA!

2. Marilyn Armstrong April 11, 2021 / 11:10 am

Flloyd’s trial was the winner — if that seems even remotely appropriate. But it was the one that hooked MY attention.

• Fandango April 11, 2021 / 11:27 am

Yes, I thought about this, too. It was riveting.

• Marleen April 12, 2021 / 7:44 am

The expert witnesses did a fine job. As did the other witnesses, last week. If this (Chauvin) guy isn’t found guilty, well… that would be pretty hopeless.

I could nominate my mom for the week. I won’t get into details; have been in discussions with family members. They didn’t know lawyers say it’s her life.

3. JT Twissel April 11, 2021 / 12:09 pm

For so many years it’s been so hopeless that I dare not hope! So many Americans are addicted to their guns – and not just their guns – but weapons of war.

• Fandango April 11, 2021 / 12:25 pm

I can only hope that common sense will prevail.

4. XingfuMama April 11, 2021 / 3:07 pm

It was encouraging to see someone finally try to do something. Hopefully it will be a start. I am very tired of the “we can’t do much so we won’t do anything” line of argument. No, it’s not much, the president actually doesn’t have much power over this issue, and no it probably isn’t perfect, but it could help break up the log jam.

5. annieasksyou April 11, 2021 / 4:50 pm

I emphatically agree with your choice, Fandango. This is a well-thought-out, comprehensive plan, and I’m glad your telling people what’s in it.

6. RuthScribbles April 12, 2021 / 10:39 am

I’m not holding my breath. The horrible gop governor of the state I live in, Texas is attacking big time! With lies. Sheesh

7. Marleen April 13, 2021 / 5:06 am

Me! I got my first shot! I’m still a winner — even though I felt sick from about hour seven through most of the next day. At least I slept well. I know someone who was extremely sleepy but couldn’t sleep in the aftermath of his vaccination. By way of my mentioning “first” as to the shot I got, you can’t tell I didn’t go with Johnson and Johnson after all. I did still look into it, mainly because I was thinking it would free me up sooner to go to Saint Louis and check in on my mother. A nearby pharmacy was offering it, when I checked online. But my oldest son (the only one I told about my mother) was just about begging me not to go to Saint Louis anyway. Since part of his concern is for my health, I determined it wasn’t worth deciding on the riskier version (now that the company has had some quality problems). I’m going with Pfizer instead. Additionally, the nearby huge church (that accounts for a number of square blocks of my local area) who are offering Pfizer is the first outfit that contacted me with scheduling opportunities. [I detected that they will be benefiting from my data (in some limited capacity).]

• Marleen April 13, 2021 / 7:23 am

… my mentioning “first” as to the shot I got, you can’t tell I didn’t go with Johnson and Johnson …

I did not type in “can’t” there. That’s an auto “correction.” It’s supposed to be that one can indeed tell.