Friday Fictioneers — Seoul Town

“Have you ever been to Seoul Town?” Jenny asked me.

“No, but I used to watch ‘Soul Train’ back in the day,” I said. “Did you ever watch that show?”

“No,” Jenny said. “I’m talking about Seoul Town, as in Seoul, the capital of South Korea.”

“No,” I said, “I’ve never been to South Korea.”

“No, I’m talking about here in the city,” Jenny said. “They have some great Korean restaurants there.”

“I’ve eaten in Chinatown and in Japan Town, but never Seoul Town,” I said.

“Well let’s go tonight,” Jenny said. “It’s kinda funky, but the food is fantastic.”

(100 words)

Written for this week’s Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Brenda Cox.

19 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Seoul Town

1. Marleen April 9, 2021 / 9:42 pm

“It’s kinda funky 🙃”

🎶🎶Won’t you take me to… funky town🎵

2. Michael Humphris April 10, 2021 / 2:19 am

Food glorious food, yes I enjoy good food, it is much better than either alcohol or drugs

• Fandango April 10, 2021 / 8:11 pm

Maybe in the country of Korea, but I’ve yet to have seen dog on the menu of any Korean restaurant I’ve eaten at.

3. GHLearner April 10, 2021 / 10:38 am

That was clever and fun.

4. granonine April 13, 2021 / 7:11 am

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten real Korean food. As far as I know, there are no Seoul Town eateries nearby. You have triggered my curiosity, though, and I’m going to do some searching 🙂

• Fandango April 13, 2021 / 3:01 pm

Korean food is not my favorite, but it’s a nice change from Chinese, Japanese, or Indian food.

• granonine April 13, 2021 / 6:00 pm

My son-in-law grew up in Kenya, and there is a large Indian population there. He loves to cook, and has introduced me to some wonderful Indian food. Lucky me 🙂

• Marleen April 13, 2021 / 4:52 pm

I like Chinese and Japanese, Indian, Tai, and Korean food (which I’ve had the fewest times and for which I found any restaurants the latest compared to the others). I was going to look up some names for the few dishes I’ve had (besides Korean barbecue generally). But I got overwhelmed with trying to narrow down from here: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/best-korean-dishes/index.html

I know I’ve had a soup/stew with the egg that cooks in it — and liked it a lot (for the egg as well as the rest of it). The meat/meat products in it were more ordinary; no oxeblood or intestine or even clams. I’m going to have to try a soft tofu stew. I actually love tofu.

5. leigha66 April 14, 2021 / 4:56 pm

We have Chinese and a Vietnamese restaurants in town, but no Korean that I know of. I miss my friend’s restaurant that had the best egg rolls I have ever had. But she had to sell it due to health reasons. Good story.