Screwed the Pooch

“You didn’t seriously…?”

“Yep.”

“You just…?”

“Yep.”

“Does that mean…?”

“Quite probably.”

“But you’re the patriarch of the family.”

“Yeah, so?”

“It’s not very beseeming. You should set an example.”

“That’s what I did.”

“Well, it sometimes makes me wonder where your head is at.”

“How so?”

“Like where you come up with such radical ideas?”

“Like what?”

“Like going to D.C. on January 6th and participating in that ill-fated siege of the Capitol building.”

“That was fun.”

“Fun? Seriously? You thought that was a good idea?”

“For sure. My best ideas often come to me while drinking my morning coffee and eating a couple of poached eggs.”

“Sorry, Grandpa, but I think you screwed the pooch this time.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because your picture was posted on the internet.”

“Really? How’d I look?”

“Good enough to be recognized.”

“Excellent.”

“I don’t think it’s so excellent.”

“Why not? Now I’m famous.”

“More like infamous.”

“That’s not such a bad thing.”

“Tell that to the two FBI agents who at waiting for you at the front door.”

This post was written for the JSW Challenge from Athling2001. The idea is to take the dialogue posted above and run with it. Also written for these daily prompts: Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (patriarch), Your Daily Word Prompt (beseem), Word of the Day Challenge (sometimes), The Daily Spur (coffee), MMA Storytime (eggs), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (radical).

11 thoughts on “Screwed the Pooch

1. Mason Bushell April 5, 2021 / 1:07 pm

This is an example of great dialogue. I really enjoyed this. Now I wish my dialogue skills were this good. Well done !

• Fandango April 5, 2021 / 2:19 pm

Your dialogue skills are pretty damn good. Plus, you paint vivid pictures that put your dialogue in context. From this post of mine, you can’t tell much about the characters or even visualize where the conversation is taking place. It’s all dialogue and nothing more.

• Mason Bushell April 6, 2021 / 1:38 am

Hello, Fandango.
        Thank you for saying this. With my dialogue I feel like it has non personality. Like you couldn’t tell who was speaking without all the expansive details I provide.
        With your engaging dialogue it was easy to follow who was speaking and even to see them speaking too.

• Fandango April 6, 2021 / 8:35 pm

Thanks m, Mason. Maybe the italics helped, too! 😏

• Mason Bushell April 7, 2021 / 1:39 am

You’re welcome.
            This is true. I’ve not mastered using italics as inflections yet. Maybe one day!

I like to use italics (probably wrongly) as a way to signify thoughts or someone on the phone at times. I must try with inflections though.

2. Sadje April 5, 2021 / 7:12 pm

Now he may be regretting his actions. Good one Fandango.

3. leigha66 April 8, 2021 / 7:00 pm

I like this… there were all ages in that crowd. Sadly a believable conversation.

Comments are closed.