Weekend Writing Prompt — I Wanna Be a Writer

“You call yourself a wordsmith? That’s absurd. If anything, you’re the antithesis of a wordsmith. You may strive to be one, but you can’t spell, you’re lousy at grammar, and you can’t put a coherent sentence together. You’re a basket case.”

“I want to be a writer like you, Grandfather. You must have patience with me. I’m only seven years old.”

(61 words)

Written for Sammi Cox’s Weekend Writing Prompt, where the word is “absurd” using exactly 61 words.Also for these daily prompts: Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (wordsmith/antithesis), Your Daily Word prompt (strive), MMA Storytime (basket), The Daily Spur (grandfather), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (patience). Photo credit: Getty Images.

13 thoughts on “Weekend Writing Prompt — I Wanna Be a Writer

1. Renard Moreau April 3, 2021 / 12:38 pm

🙂 Maybe, the boy’s grandfather was a literary genius when he was 6 years old.

• Fandango April 3, 2021 / 12:54 pm

Either that or he’s just a grump old man who is upset because he’s well past his prime and is taking it out on his poor grandson.

2. cagedunn April 3, 2021 / 1:50 pm

it takes many years to learn the difference between writing words and telling a story, so that’s what you tell him, kid.

3. relaxitsallwrite April 3, 2021 / 2:10 pm

My hubby calls me a wordsmith. As such, he also gives me a very hard time when he comes up with a word I’m not familiar with lol

4. S.B. April 3, 2021 / 11:10 pm

I’m still seven years old.
    Well, I act & write like one.

5. leigha66 April 6, 2021 / 5:47 pm

Oh my! Grandpa shouldn’t talk to the boy like that, crushing young dreams.