C is for “Cheers”

Okay, I know what you’re thinking. This is my third post in a row for an ensemble-cast TV sitcom. Yes, that’s true, but I love me my classic sitcoms, and “Cheers” is definitely one.

“Cheers” was an American sitcom that ran on NBC from September 30, 1982, to May 20, 1993. It was created by the team of James Burrows and Glen and Les Charles. The show, a mixture of comedy and soap-opera romance, followed the lives of the staff and patrons of Cheers, a fictional bar in Boston.

Bartender-owner Sam Malone (Ted Danson), a witty former Major League Baseball pitcher, was forever on the make. Graduate student–waitress Diane Chambers (Shelley Long) was the primary object of his affection, and their sparring, filled with sexual tension, provided plenty of humor over the course of their on-again, off-again relationship. After Long left the show in the fifth season, her character, Diane, was replaced by and Rebecca Howe (Kirstie Alley).

Joining Sam behind the bar was the absentminded but lovable Coach (Nicholas Colasanto), an associate from Sam’s days with the Red Sox. After Colasanto died in 1985, Woody Boyd (Woody Harrelson), a naïve, dim-witted Hoosier replaced Coach. Rounding out the staff was the tiny acid-tongued waitress Carla (Rhea Perlman). The other regulars in the bar “where everybody knows your name” were Dr. Frasier Crane (Kelsey Grammer), a haughty, insecure psychiatrist, Dr. Lilith Sternin (Bebe Neuwirth), a frosty psychologist who married and then divorced Crane, accountant Norm Petersen (George Wendt), and his best friend, salt-of-the-earth mailman Cliff Clavin (John Ratzenberger).

Cheers became one of the most popular series in history and received critical acclaim from its start to its end. It was nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series for all eleven of its seasons on the air, and earned 28 Primetime Emmy Awards from a record of 117 nominations. A true classic sitcom.

Previous BATZAP 2021 posts: A B

48 thoughts on “C is for “Cheers”

1. pendantry April 3, 2021 / 6:16 am

Ah, thanks for the reminder! I used to love watching ‘Cheers’.

2. Paula Light April 3, 2021 / 6:37 am

I’m one of those weirdos who prefers the Kirstie Alley Cheers!

• Fandango April 3, 2021 / 9:04 am

I preferred Shelly Long, although Diane was always so prissy.

3. Ruth April 3, 2021 / 6:39 am

‘Norm!’… What a great show 🙂

4. newepicauthor April 3, 2021 / 6:54 am

It is hard to find a show better than Cheers, but I might go with Seinfeld.

• Deborah Weber April 3, 2021 / 11:50 am

Rhea Perlman seems the perfect tart touch to me.

5. msjadeli April 3, 2021 / 9:02 am

I faithfully watched that show. One of the best sitcoms ever! I had my doubts about Woody at first but he became the biggest star of all of them!

• Fandango April 3, 2021 / 9:10 am

I loved “Coach,” and when he died, I didn’t think they’d find anyone as good to replace him, but Woody stepped in and did well.

• msjadeli April 3, 2021 / 10:29 am

Yes, exactly. I’m enjoying your Batzap posts 🙂

• Fandango April 3, 2021 / 10:52 am

Thanks. And as a fan of Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull, I love your A to Z posts!

6. J-Dub April 3, 2021 / 9:14 am

“Sometimes you want to go” … Loved the spinoff to Fraser too.

7. Melanie B Cee April 3, 2021 / 10:29 am

The ORIGINAL ensemble cast worked so well. I did not enjoy the show half so much when Shelley Long left, and I didn’t like the addition of Kelsey Grammar to it much either. But still, it was a place ‘where everybody knew your name”. I wonder if there are any cozy corner bars like this even in existence anymore. My brother traveled to Boston and he visited the bar where Cheers was filmed and said it was a lot smaller than it seemed to be on TV. Not too surprising.

• Fandango April 3, 2021 / 10:50 am

I liked Shelly Long better than Kirstie Alley, but Kelsey Grammer’s Frasier Crane grew on me. Fun fact: the exterior shots filmed outside of the Boston bar, but the interior shots were all on a sound stage at the Paramount Studios in Hollywood in front of a live audience.

8. bushboy April 3, 2021 / 5:32 pm

Crap!!! I have been so busy with other stuff I have forgotten to BatZap. I’ll try to catch up

• Fandango April 3, 2021 / 10:07 pm

I’ll be looking forward to it.

9. Frewin55 April 3, 2021 / 11:33 pm

Loved Cheers!
    I was painting a sign at a pub in Ireland and it turns out Woody Harrelson had been hanging out with the two brothers who owned it. They took him out on their jet ski – it was a surfing spot. This was the moment of his departure and they felt they knew him well enough to ask for him to pose behind the bar pulling a pint – which he willingly did before going out to his taxi. As the brothers came back in – a garrulous old woman said “Who’s he then?”
    “That’s Woody Harrelson off the TV – you know! Used to be in Cheers!”
    “That’s all he told you!” came the sceptical riposte!

10. leigha66 April 6, 2021 / 4:51 pm

My favorite of the three you have done so far. Was so sad to see “Coach” go. Woody did a good job though.

11. amoralegria April 16, 2021 / 9:42 am

Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name – another favorite of mine!

Comments are closed.