Friday Fictioneers — Cookie Monster

“Hi little boy,” the kindly old lady standing in front of the town bakery with a tray full of gingerbread cookies said. “Would you like to try one?”

The little boy looked at the cookies on the tray, looked up at the old woman, and started to cry.

“Oh my gracious,” the old woman said. She looked at the little boy’s mother and said, “I’m so sorry that I made your little boy cry.”

“It’s not your fault,” the mother said. “Ever since we read him “Hansel and Gretel,” he associates gingerbread cookies with the witch who eats little children.”

(100 words)

Written for the Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Jennifer Pendergast.

20 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Cookie Monster

1. Marleen April 2, 2021 / 9:33 am

Only makes sense, after all.

2. granonine April 2, 2021 / 4:55 pm

Of course he does, poor little tyke. Children do tend to take these things to heart 🙂

3. James McEwan April 3, 2021 / 5:01 am

Looks like the little boy is scarred for life. Ah well, more gingerbread biscuits for me.

4. GHLearner April 3, 2021 / 1:53 pm

Yup, Grimm’s fairy tales are pretty tough if you read the undisneyfied version. I’m sure the kid will get over it.

5. Lorraine April 3, 2021 / 8:45 pm

I think the Brothers Grimm (apt name) and their “fairy tale teller” contemporizes have scarred generations of children for life! Kid has a fantastic imagination.

• Fandango April 3, 2021 / 10:11 pm

Yes, many of the fairytales from the Brothers Grimm are, indeed, quite grim.

6. elmowrites April 6, 2021 / 12:32 pm

haha, kids do feel things more deeply than us oldies. I think there’s a typo on the first line (lay for lady), if you like to fix such things. I’m glad Mom was there to explain the tears.

• Fandango April 6, 2021 / 10:34 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the typo. Seems that no matter how many times I preview the post, my eyes only see what my brain expects them to see. 🙁

• elmowrites April 7, 2021 / 6:20 am

Absolutely! I always prefer people to tell me, so I do the same for others. It’s critique but not criticism