MLMM Photo Challenge — A Bad Idea

“Let me have another,” Jane said. “I’m not feeling anything yet.”

“No,” Craig said. “One is all you need. It will hit you soon.”

“Come on, Craig,” James said. “Give her what she asked for.”

“Yes, Craig, give me what I asked for,” Jane repeated. “I want the full experience. I want to be immersed.”

“Fine,” Craig said. “For the record, I don’t think this is a good idea, but Lady Jane seems to always get what she wants.” Craig handed Jane a small, square piece of brown paper. “Here you are, your highness, one more dose of blotter acid. Enjoy.”

About an hour later, a scream shattered the air. “Get away from me!” Jane yelled.

Both Craig and James ran over to Jane, who was almost hysterical. They each grabbed an arm. “Jane, what’s going on?” Craig asked.

“She’s freaking out,” James said.

“The trees!” Jane screamed, “Their branches are reaching down to me, grabbing me, and trying to pull me apart.”

“No, Jane,” Craig said in as soothing a voice as he could muster, “Those hands belong to James and me, not to the trees. We’re trying to help you. You’re on a bad trip and you’re hallucinating. Try to stay calm and take deep breaths.”

In an aside, Craig whispered to James, “I told you that giving her two tabs was not a good idea.”

Written for the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Photo Challenge prompt. Photo credit: Brooke Shaden.

15 thoughts on “MLMM Photo Challenge — A Bad Idea

1. newepicauthor March 23, 2021 / 3:38 pm

Lady Jane earned that nickname of being your highness in more ways than one.

2. Marleen March 23, 2021 / 4:54 pm

I’ve been listening to Jordan Peterson lately (in part, trying to figure out if someone who seems sincere and troubled lately is going to wake up to some things he’s been blind about, like laws that enforced black slavery and segregation and suppression having been white supremacist). The last video I was listening to was meant to be based on a Bible story (Jacob’s ladder), but he got deeply involved in talking about hallucinogens or hallucinogenic experience. Interesting

• Fandango March 23, 2021 / 11:42 pm

That’s quite a leap from a Bible story to hallucinogens, although, as an atheist, I tend to believe that anyone who takes the stories in the Bible literary is hallucinating.

• Marleen March 24, 2021 / 12:04 am

😂

Generally, I can see your point.

I might not agree, but I can see it.

Stories about Jesus saying people should watch out for being hypocritical, or worse, are easily true-to-life even so.

As for Peterson, he did take quite a meandering. He said he’s not in favor of drugs but then did wax in wonder about South American experts for administration of the plant. He wasn’t taking the story literally (except in a similar sense as what could happen with ayahuasca); he’s not a “preacher” or someone with any claim to religion — only archetype. He’s been a Junguan analyst and a professor, plus author (who I have not read and do not intend to do).

• Marleen March 24, 2021 / 1:55 pm

The reason I’m looking into him is because he’s one of the people Christians follow, like they can be fanatics of Ayn Rand too (which is actually pretty insane). I think “evangelism” in the last few decades (the “Rand” lady — I wish I knew how to put a line through that word for effect — gaining steam since the fifties) has largely been to some kind of mental illness. Not that there’s a great history of the established [in the fourth century] church to begin with. But what I was exposed to in, say, high school (so hearkening back to maybe a short-lived era and in certain circles) is not the same thing as what is taking part in destroying our country now. I’m wondering if what he’s doing now (although the Jacob’s Ladder video is from, I think, three years ago but I’ve looked at newer things as well) is performative… because there’s more money in religion than in philosophy (while he’s made a lot that way too). Truth is truth, and it’ll be interesting to see if he continues defending lies (by which I do not mean I am offended that he contemplated South American vegetation out loud or even that I would be if he went there for that).

3. Dave Williams March 25, 2021 / 7:31 am

I thought of fairy tales when I saw the photo prompt, and I enjoy reading where other writers went in their stories. There’s a fright in your story that’s much different than fairy-tale frights. A more realistic fright is within here. A tale of caution to not overdo those explorations with substances.

• Fandango March 25, 2021 / 10:26 pm

Yeah, I have first hand experience with overindulging. It’s a bad trip indeed.

4. leigha66 March 26, 2021 / 10:07 am

One of the top reasons I don’t partake… fear of a bad trip. Good story.

Comments are closed.