Friday Fictioneers — The Walking Tree

“Dad, look at that weird tree,” Danny said.

“That’s actually a type of fig tree,” Danny’s father said. “It’s called a Banyan tree. It start’s life as a seed that germinates on another tree, grows as a vine dependent on the tree for support, and eventually strangles and subsumes its host tree. Banyan trees can grow to 100 feet tall and live for a thousand years. Its roots grow from outward-extending branches and reach the ground, becoming trunk-like, which is why some call it the walking tree.”

“Dad, why are you always making silly shit up?” Danny asked.

(100 words)

Written for Rochelle Wisoff-Fields’ Friday Fictioneers prompt. Photo credit: Liz Young.

32 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — The Walking Tree

1. slmret March 19, 2021 / 8:46 am

Not so far-fetched! There’s a wonderful example of a banyan tree in Santa Barbara beside the train station. Known as the Moreton Bay Fig Tree, it’s been there since 1876– almost 150 years!

2. rugby843 March 19, 2021 / 10:03 am

We saw these in Hawaii, very interesting

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

• Fandango March 19, 2021 / 11:22 pm

That’s where I saw them for the first time.

3. Bear March 19, 2021 / 1:27 pm

Hehehe… I can picture that boy rolling his eyes, too. Great story.

4. abigfatcanofworms March 19, 2021 / 7:43 pm

Very funny! A great story! But I must admit, we do make stuff up to catch our kids out all the time so that sometimes, when we tell them something real, they don’t believe us. That’s ok. In fact, in this world full of advertising and fake news and propaganda, doubt is a very healthy attribute.

5. James McEwan March 20, 2021 / 2:29 am

Great information. I bet his son will always know the name of this tree from now on.

6. Brenda's Thoughts March 20, 2021 / 6:08 am

I like the dad, taking the time to explain even though he probably knew what his son’s reaction would be. Nice one!

• Fandango March 20, 2021 / 10:32 am

That’s a dad’s job, right. Explain things to your kids while they totally tune you out and couldn’t care less. 😉

7. msjadeli March 20, 2021 / 5:07 pm

Truth is always stranger than fiction. When kids are little they think you’re a deity but when they approach teens they think you’re an imbecile. If you’re lucky they’ll revere you in old age.

• Marleen March 22, 2021 / 2:16 pm

One of my sons has expressed, more than once, that he was disappointed when, his age being something like thirteen, I started answering some questions with the inclusion of “I’m not sure” or “I don’t know” — and he realized he had thought I knew everything.

Prior to that, I would sometimes give answers he wasn’t happy with. For instance, when he asked if Santa was a real person (or something like that wording), my response was long and complicated. We didn’t “do” the Santa thing, but I didn’t want to make it a giant deal.

• Marleen March 22, 2021 / 2:18 pm

Oh..🤣 I missed my opportunity to write, “big fucking deal.”

• Marleen March 22, 2021 / 3:03 pm

Simply saying “no” would’ve made it a huge deal, to some people, because kids then go saying, “Santa isn’t real.” Besides, there is history of someone called Saint Nickolas.

And, while we (true to standard, though not mandatory, Jewish form) didn’t celebrate Christmas, I made Hanukkah a bfd (although I didn’t talk anything like that way then).

• Marleen March 23, 2021 / 4:44 am

It is. If things work out, we can be thankful. Whew.

8. Nobbinmaug March 22, 2021 / 1:57 pm

That was a great last line. It might be a good thing dad had Google to vouch for him.