23 thoughts on “The Grammy Awards

1. Marleen March 15, 2021 / 7:16 am

I didn’t watch, last night. I sort of know the feeling, though. I don’t remember what year it was, and I wouldn’t say I’ve had the same reaction each year since, but, this one year, I wondered if most people actually thought the music presented was musical and if young people really liked it or got anything out of it. This was something like ten years ago. I was a bit concerned for the future. I also pondered whether it was odd of me. But it wasn’t long after that a neighbor, who is maybe ten years younger than I, made a comment (not about the show in particular but about recent music) that he wasn’t sure people know what music is, lately. Either he was aging early, or the recording industry really was discordant with the concept of music at the time. However, I don’t listen to the radio lately — and that would make the past year’s music strange in a different way.

• Fandango March 15, 2021 / 10:39 am

This is why I’m stuck in the classic rock era, when music was music.

• Marleen March 15, 2021 / 11:07 am

At the time, I had been listening to new music. But it wasn’t the music that got the awards then. I think I was listening on a service called e-music. I listened to old music there, as well. I hope I’m remembering the name of the service correctly. They went out of business — technically, they sold out. And I lost all the music I’d had with them. I communicated with he company to ask simply that they give me a list of who the artists were to whom I’d been listening (I had my own selections and had been paying a monthly fee). No help. They gave me some goofy non-answer. But I do recall that some of them later were in the Grammys. It can be difficult to find the good stuff. Before that, my oldest son had found a lot of music via Napster.

• Marleen March 15, 2021 / 11:32 am

Well, I just looked. And eMusic is a functioning service. Maybe they went through a restructuring or a lawsuit; or new ownership.They had said something to me about artists getting paid for their music. I answered that I couldn’t buy the music if I didn’t know their names.

2. K.Hartless March 15, 2021 / 7:20 am

Wish I could’ve streamed it, but probably would have felt similar. Not been similar, mind you. 🙂

3. Maggie March 15, 2021 / 7:21 am

Just looking at the clips this morning made me realize I know nothing about the current music scene.

• Fandango March 15, 2021 / 10:41 am

I’ve heard of the biggies like Beyoncé and Taylor Swift, but most of the others? Who?

4. pensitivity101 March 15, 2021 / 8:05 am

I feel old listening to the radio and not only not recognise the songs, but none of the presenters either!

5. newepicauthor March 15, 2021 / 9:06 am

Hip hop and rap dominate the music industry now, they don’t make anything that is good any more.

• Fandango March 15, 2021 / 10:44 am

That’s why all I listen to these days is my beloved classic rock.

6. Marilyn Armstrong March 15, 2021 / 7:34 pm

Garry feels they should spend more time on the “In Memorium” segment of the Oscars. We don’t know anyone anymore. It does make you feel old, but listening to the music these days makes me feel even older.

7. Marleen March 15, 2021 / 10:46 pm

Hey, there! Did you know Rachel Maddow won a Grammy — over Meryl Streep? Last night.

• Marleen March 16, 2021 / 8:40 pm

While this article begins with who Flea is (nominated, at this time, for a reading of his book rather than for music), a more formidable consideration (in my opinion) was Ronan Farrow. The books, themselves, that Ronan and Rachel each wrote are major contributions to understanding our world. I’m sure they both did well at reading what had been respectively researched.

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow earned her second Grammy nomination for the audiobook version of her Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth. She was previously nominated for her audiobook Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power in 2013.

Ronan Farrow scored a nomination for his narrated version of his National Book Critics Circle Award–nominated Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators. And actress Meryl Streep made the shortlist, along with a full cast, for the audiobook version of E.B. White’s beloved classic Charlotte’s Web.

8. leigha66 March 18, 2021 / 5:49 pm

Every year I know fewer and fewer artist on the Grammy’s myself. I didn’t even watch this year.

9. Marleen March 25, 2021 / 9:45 pm

This isn’t from the Grammy Award show, but I have to share it.

Andra Day – Strange Fruit