SoCS — Butter Versus Oil

This week’s assignment from Linda G. Hill for her Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, is “butter.” Linda asks us to use the word “butter” as a noun, a verb, or any way we’d like.

Let me start out by saying that I’m a fan of butter, although it must be organic, unsalted butter. I use it whenever I make eggs over easy, scrambled eggs, or my specialty, hole in the wall eggs. I also use it when I sauté onions or garlic, which, as far as I’m concerned, is the only way to eat onions or garlic. I put a generous amount of butter in the frying pan, melt it, and take it from there. I also spread butter on my toast and I butter my toasted English muffins.

Mrs. Fandango, on the other hand, prefers using cooking oil rather than butter. Not on her toast or English muffins, of course. She prefers them dry. But for eggs, onions, garlic, and other veggies — such as asparagus or Brussels sprouts — that she likes to sauté, rather than butter she pours a drizzle of either olive oil or canola oil — organic, of course — into the frying pan. She claims butter adds too much fat to whatever it is she’s sautéing and cooking with oil is healthier..

She may be right about that, but I just like to use real butter because I prefer the taste of butter. But no matter how much I try to butter her up, she’s not buying it.

Which is why we often cook whatever we’re making — from eggs to sautéed onions, mushrooms, spinach, or whatever — separately. Mine using melted butter and hers using cooking oil.

11 thoughts on “SoCS — Butter Versus Oil

1. Sadje March 6, 2021 / 3:44 am

Butter, oil, ghee or any other oil contains almost identical number of calories, volume-wise.

2. Maggie March 6, 2021 / 5:14 am

I always loved butter, too until the doctor began eyeing my cholesterol. Now eggs are cooked in avocado oil and toast is usually eaten dry. There is something about sizzling butter, though, I’ll give you that.

• Fandango March 6, 2021 / 10:32 pm

I guess I’m fortunately that my cholesterol is not so bad that my doc has demanded that I cut out butter. Dry toast? 😦

3. rugby843 March 6, 2021 / 11:21 am

Sounds like a plan.  I rarely use butter but when I do.,,.😅

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

4. Marilyn Armstrong March 6, 2021 / 11:40 am

I used better when I want a heavier duty oil in the pan or I think the butter will taste better. WE use a mixture of butter and olive oil as a basic “spreader” because it tastes just enough like both to make everyone happy — except Garry who, like your wife, eats it all dry. I have stopped asking why. He also does not cook. Not even a little bit. But I use corn oil for Chinese food (they suggest peanut oil, but I don’t like it — too strong a taste for delicate food. Olive oil is the wrong flavor for Chinese food, but it’s the only thing to use for Indian and Italian food. Butter ONLY for eggs.

Dry toast? Why?

• Fandango March 6, 2021 / 10:50 pm

I know. Dry toast is so, well, dry.

5. Marleen March 6, 2021 / 11:10 pm

I ALWAYS used butter, even through all the years that one was urged to use margarine to (supposedly) avoid cholesterol. Now, it’s been figured out — or, more precisely, the medical world has caught up to the science — that hydrogenated oil isn’t better for you (is probably worse). Additionally, what is more important than whether one ingests cholesterol is whether there is balance in the diet (not a plan to lose weight but regular food intake patterns). Your ice cream habit provides you variety. 🤔

• Fandango March 6, 2021 / 11:15 pm

I’m not sure if my ice cream habit provides variety, but it sure provides something delicious and refreshing!

• Marleen March 7, 2021 / 2:49 pm

Yeah… 🙃 (I was being silly at the end… only at the end. Perhaps cashew-based iced cream provides balance, but I know that’s not what you eat.)

Usual recommendations for balance involve unsaturated vegetable oils, avocados, nuts and seeds, fish oils, and so on. I have found acknowledged, recently, where balance for cholesterol and saturated [but not hydrogenated which are the worst] fats is to be had in whole foods high in fiber.

I’ve heard that folic acid (a particular B vitamin) has a chance of clearing out some hydrogenated fat from arteries. I don’t try very hard to balance my fat types. I like iced cream without worrying about it. But I do take an unsaturated supplement (omega-3 fatty acids) and extra folic acid (in case of any residuals from cafeteria food from when I was in school or of new use in baked goods a neighbor brings over) and do eat green leafy vegetables and whole grains, nuts, and avacados.

• Marleen March 7, 2021 / 10:06 pm

And I diversify my milk fat food group with cream in my coffee every day. Only organic.

6. leigha66 March 11, 2021 / 2:13 pm

Butter has a better flavor I think, but I can eat things cooked in oil too.