A Shot in the Arm — Part 2

I got the my second COVID-19 vaccination on Thursday. I was warned that, because the second vaccination is like a booster shot, I might experience more of a reaction than I did when I got the first shot.

They were right. The day I got the second shot, my arm was a little sore. But on Friday, I woke up feeling achy, had chills, and a slight fever. I felt very tired and my stomach was a bit queasy. I took Advil, which helped a little, but it was still a rather unpleasant day.

Today, Saturday, two days after the shot, my arm where I got the shot is still a little sore and I’m not yet at 100%, but I am feeling better than I did yesterday. I’m going to take it easy for the rest of the day today and I’m sure I’ll be back to my old self by tomorrow.

In the scheme of things, feeling achy and not great for a day or two is a small price to pay for having been vaccinated against a highly contagious virus that, for more than half a million Americans, has proven to be fatal.

29 thoughts on “A Shot in the Arm — Part 2

1. Carol Carlisle March 6, 2021 / 9:13 am

It’s worth the bother. Welcome to the 2 shot club. We need tee shirts. Funny I still don’t want to go out and about.

• Fandango March 6, 2021 / 10:40 pm

Me neither, Carol. I’m fine staying at home most of the time these days. After a year, I’ve gotten used to it.

2. slmret March 6, 2021 / 9:31 am

I had my second Pfizer shot on Thursday — Friday am early, I had a sore arm, but went back to sleep, and when I woke again I was fine. Best investment of an hour on Thursday afternoon that I can think of, although I will still be careful around other people.

• Fandango March 6, 2021 / 10:41 pm

I agree about continuing to wear a mask and maintain social distance.

3. Sadje March 6, 2021 / 10:14 am

Exactly right. A little inconvenience is better than falling ill with a serious disease

4. Melanie B Cee March 6, 2021 / 10:36 am

My arm has been sore (it’s eased up a bit today) since I got shot (the 1st one) on Weds. I’ve also had some slight stomach upset. I’m not looking forward greatly to shot #2 therefore, but you’re absolutely right. A little bit of discomfort compared to being killed by Covid? No contest! I hope you feel right as rain real soon!

• Fandango March 6, 2021 / 10:44 pm

By the end of the day today I was totally fine. Thanks, Melanie.

5. Astrid March 6, 2021 / 10:43 am

I’m sorry you were feeling a little ill becaUse of the vaccine, but it’s true that it’s better than to risk contracting COVID. Now though I’m even more worried that my second shot, which I also got on Thursday, went wrong, as I had absolutely no side effects.

6. Marilyn Armstrong March 6, 2021 / 10:56 am

I have been told by a bunch of people (including our doctor) that the second shot reaction really means it’s working. Garry had the same second shot reaction as you did, but he has recovered. I’m not due until March 29. I guess I’ll find out. It’s a small price to pay for getting my life back, or at least some of it.

• Fandango March 6, 2021 / 10:47 pm

I was feeling fine by midday today, so the adverse side effects were gone in 48 hours after shot #2.

7. rugby843 March 6, 2021 / 11:08 am

I had the second shot two weeks ago.  No reaction to either, but my family experienced symptoms from theirs.  We all received Pfizer shots.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

8. JT Twissel March 6, 2021 / 11:11 am

My husband had the second shot with no reaction whatsoever but I’m sure I’ll feel it! Glad you’re on the mend.

• Fandango March 6, 2021 / 10:49 pm

I’m fine now. Some have reactions and some, like your husband, don’t. Mine weren’t terribly bad.

9. Maggie March 6, 2021 / 2:55 pm

Good for you, Fandango. As you and others have said, it is a small price to pay considering the alternative. Rest and take your time getting back to the daily grind.

10. Carl Setzer March 6, 2021 / 5:53 pm

Glad to see you’ve gotten both shots. I am WAAY down the list here in Washington. I’m not sure when I’ll be able to know when I’ll have a plan…if that makes any sense.

11. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing March 7, 2021 / 5:03 am

I had the Pfizer shors and second dose gave me a migraine and aching limbs. Horrible but only for a day. It was worth it to know I won’t die from the virus. My husband had Moderna and just had mild achiness. Happy you came through ok ☺️

12. leigha66 March 11, 2021 / 6:09 pm

Glad you didn’t feel bad for too long after your second shot. I am hoping to get my first by April… some places in Iowa have opened up to adults with underlying conditions which both me and my boyfriend qualify for.