TMP — I’m Not Sure

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off.

I’m pissed, but I’m not sure who to be pissed at. You may recall that, at the end of last year, I wrote here about a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I got myself so that I could watch TV without having to turn the sound up to 11. This made my wife happy because she and I could watch TV together — me wearing my headphones — without her feeling as if the volume was blowing her ears out.

Well, up until last night I was very happy with my headphones. They are supposed to last around 20 hours per charge and I would charge them overnight every other or third night. But after charging them all night on Saturday night, last night we had been watching TV for only about 20 minutes when I heard a female voice saying “Please charge me.”

Why was that lady in my headphones telling me to charge her? Was she trying to seduce me or was she simply informing me that she needed more juice? Assuming it was the latter, I removed my headphones, plugged them into the the wall outlet via a cable and a USB charger. A little red light on the headphones was illuminated, indicating that the headphones were charging. I went back to the couch, sat down next to my wife, and, much to her annoyance, turned the TV’s volume up to nuclear blast.

Normally it takes around two hours to fully charge the headphones, so it was around 9:00 and went to retrieve said headphones, which had been plugged in since around 7:30. I noticed that the little red light was still illuminated, but I figured that they must have been mostly charged by then, so I unplugged them and put them back on my head. Within five minutes, though I heard that sultry female voice once again begging me to charge her.

I removed the headphones, plugged them back into the USB charger, and said to my wife, “Fuck it. I’m going to bed.”

When I woke up this morning, I noticed that the little red light indicating that the headphones were not fully charged was still illuminated. Shit! WTF? I was getting ready to call the headphones’ manufacturer and tell them that their POS headphones barely lasted two months, when my wife suggested that I should try a different USB charger.I told her that was nonsense, but she said to try it anyway “just to be sure it’s not the charger.”

Fine. I got one of my iPhone USB chargers and plugged my headphones into that. The red charging light came on, and I figured I’d give it two hours to see if the red charging light turned off, indicating that the headphones were fully charged.

Sure enough, two hours later the light was off. So maybe my wife was right and it was the USB charging thingie, and not the headphones, that had failed.

In any event, I won’t know for sure until tonight, as we typically don’t watch TV during the day, if the headphones are holding their charge and if using a different USB charger did the trick.

All I know is that I’m pissed that some piece of technology wasn’t working as it was supposed to work. I just hope it’s the cheapo USB charger and not the headphones.

Watch this space.

16 thoughts on “TMP — I’m Not Sure

• Fandango March 1, 2021 / 3:21 pm

Ha! No. After 44 years together, she smiled and said “Goodnight.”

1. Marleen March 1, 2021 / 2:04 pm

Watch this space, indeed. I find that funny (as well as reassuring and illuminating). Sorry if it can’t feel funny right now to you and if I’m, therefore, being insensitive. I mostly find it funny because I’m frequently annoyed with technology that should work (or work better)… so I am sort of always watching that space.

Something I like to do, as much as I can (whilst it doesn’t apply to your immediate challenge) is to keep back-up (or conventional technology). For example, I can turn on lights by summoning “alexa” — but I wouldn’t want to get rid of light switches. I have a cell phone, but still adamantly refuse to remove phone jacks from the walls.

I’ve had times when I couldn’t get my tablet/device charged. And, weirdly, it was the case that if I plugged it in at one place in the house it would charge (but it hadn’t with the same charging line in another). I don’t believe (or know how) this makes sense, but 🤷‍♀️

It’s been a while. I haven’t been using a kindle. I was irritated because I think they have some kind of weak metal in their plug-in points such that the connection gets loose for the charger slot. So, I didn’t buy another. I am noticing an upcoming problem with my phone, though.

The metal in the connection point for the charging slot, which doubles as the slot for my headphones, is going bad. So, this metal is sturdier than the metal that was in the kindle — as it is used more often than was the “same” spot on my kindle. But it’s now getting sloppy.

I had been replacing charging lines at a kind of exaspering pace. The kindle uses a different size connection, and it might be that the type made for that size is also made of cheaper metal (even more flimsy than what’s in the kindles); I now have what is seeming like one of substance.

• Marleen March 1, 2021 / 4:42 pm

… exasperating …

( not exaspering )

2. rugby843 March 1, 2021 / 3:09 pm

My grandson came by unexpectedly and took me to find a new tv.  We did, came home and he set it up for me.  It’s a few inches larger than the old one with these chicken feet-like holders on the bottom causing it to need extra room on the bureau meaning I can’t tilt it towards me as much.  Why can’t anything ever be easy?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

3. abigfatcanofworms March 1, 2021 / 5:32 pm

We had that problem with a pair of headphones bought for me. Eventually my husband diagnosed the problem but it was unfixable (he did try two or three different things and he’s very tech savvy) I’m not saying yours is unfixable. It was bloody annoying though. I have given up on cordless headphones now. I mainly use headphones to listen to podcasts during the day and it’s okay to have my phone in my pocket while I work (although occasionally I accidentally yank the cord out when it gets caught around my knee if I squat down). But I can see that if you’re trying to watch TV together cordless headphones are definitely preferable. I have a total distrust of bluetooth. It has failed me so many times. When you look back a decade or so, it’s funny how annoyed we get now at these inconvenient conveniences.

4. SadiRose March 2, 2021 / 1:52 am

I’m sorry – “maybe my wife was right”? Are you a newlywed or something? LOL. But seriously that sucks. I hope you figure out the problem with the headset.

5. Melanie B Cee March 2, 2021 / 11:44 am

I’m going to watch with rapt attention! I have two “Fire” tablets (mainly for the Kindle feature as my hands are too painful to hold a book for any length of time now). They’re both over five years old, and recently I noticed that I have to charge them a lot more than I did in the past. I asked a more tech-savvy sibling what the hell was up and he said “Built-in Obsolescence” The batteries in those devices wear out (of course) and it’s more money to replace the battery than to just buy a new device. *sigh* And some sit around wondering why the planet is going to hell in a handbasket. I’m going to do a ranty little spin-off peeve about that at some point soon. What the hell happened to QUALITY in this country?

6. leigha66 March 6, 2021 / 5:15 pm

I feel your pain. I have the worst luck with headphones. They don’t last very long no matter how much I spend it seems, so I just get the cheap ones and replace them in a few months. Although the latest earphone I am using for my phone has (maybe I shouldn’t say this) lasted almost a year now. Best of luck with the charger cord!