Who Won the Week? 02/28/2021

FWWTWThe idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

This week’s “winner” of Who Won the Week is idolatry, as in the worship of idols. It’s also defined as “excessive or blind adoration, reverence, devotion, or love for something or someone.” So why am I going this week’s honor to idolatry?

Well, you may recall this post in which I mentioned that Donald Trump will be making his big return to the national stage this weekend at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), where he will be giving the keynote speech at the conservative conference tonight.

You may also be familiar with the the biblical story of the Golden Calf. It is one of the most famous stories in the Old Testament. The Israelites, newly freed from Egyptian slavery, have a crisis of faith while God is speaking with Moses on Mount Sinai. They melt down their gold jewelry to construct a physical god — a statue in the shape of a calf — to worship in place of their abstract, invisible deity. It’s a story about the allure of idolatry, how easy it is to abandon one’s commitments to principle in favor of shiny, easy falsehoods.

So what does this Bible story have to do with anything?It seems that someone involved in the CPAC conference constructed a golden statue — not of a calf, but of Trump — and wheeled it out to cheers from conference attendees.

It doesn’t take a religious scholar to see the parallel to this ludicrous idol worship of Donald Trump and the Golden Calf episode in the Bible. And yet these religious Christian conservatives attending CPAC just don’t get it.

I don’t believe in God, but should there is a God, I think it’s time for him/her/it to smite Donald Trump and the GOP.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

18 thoughts on “Who Won the Week? 02/28/2021

1. XingfuMama February 28, 2021 / 10:08 am

That is gross and bizarre, in addition to blasphemous. If there was a god, or an armed artist with any taste, I would have expected a lightening bolt to take out the crowd worshiping that thing.

2. Paula Light February 28, 2021 / 10:15 am

The golden ass, made in Mexico, so appropriate for a xenophobic cult meeting…

• Marleen February 28, 2021 / 10:58 am

😂 (the golden ass) and …then holy moly and so on par. You’re right, of course, about the xenophobic cult.

3. newepicauthor February 28, 2021 / 10:23 am

Moses burnt the golden calf in a fire, ground it to powder, scattered it on water, and forced the Israelites to drink it. I wish someone would do that to the Trump statue.

4. RuthScribbles February 28, 2021 / 10:37 am

Sooo true!! It is also very ugly and bizarre! Flip flops on his feet. I prefer the real golden calf!

5. Marleen February 28, 2021 / 10:44 am

Well, Pence made out pretty well. He didn’t have to go, because The Donald said he himself would not attend if Pence would be welcomed. I’m so tired of their stupid “cancel culture” whining and obvious hypocrisy (to which they are, or seem to be, blind).

6. rugby843 February 28, 2021 / 2:45 pm

It is perfectly him, big head, golf club and overall disgusting

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

7. amoralegria February 28, 2021 / 3:09 pm

I’m glad you chose this – I too thought of the Golden Calf when I saw this statue. I don’t even have words to describe the hideousness, the shamefulness and grotesqueness of this new “idol.” The Republican Party has exceeded even their limit! I am not a Republican and never have been, but this trend is downright creepy!

• Fandango February 28, 2021 / 11:11 pm

Creepy and scary.

8. JT Twissel February 28, 2021 / 3:38 pm

Obviously there are a lot of people who claim to be Christians who have never read the Bible. On the other hand, it’s kind of a Trojan horse.

9. rugby843 March 1, 2021 / 12:37 am

After reading news tonight I think I’ll vote for Mr. Potato Head 😀

10. Marleen March 2, 2021 / 9:11 am

The National Anthem at C[ON]pac (plus)

11. leigha66 March 4, 2021 / 1:51 am

I whole heartily agree with you. It was not even a “good” statue (that is if a statue of him can be considered good at all).

Comments are closed.