Six Minutes — Give or Take

Christine Bialczak has this thing that she calls Simply 6 Minutes. She asks us to spend six minutes writing a post in response to her word or photo prompt. She suggests setting up a timer or sitting near a clock so we can keep track of the six minutes we will be writing.

I write my posts on my iPhone and I estimate that it takes about 50% longer to tap out a post on an iPhone’s tiny virtual keypad than it does to type one on a laptop or desktop keyboard. So I’m going to give myself nine minutes — Six minutes plus 50% — to complete this post.

This is my first attempt at Christine’s six minute writing prompt, but when I saw this picture, I couldn’t resist. So here we go.This little guy looks cute, doesn’t he? But that’s because he’s just a kit, which is what a baby raccoon is called. And aren’t all baby creatures cute?

My experience with raccoons is primarily from walking my dog at night. I used to walk her at a small park/recreation center and because it was dark, I would wear a campers headlamp so I could see where we were walking. Whenever we walked around the rec center, I would see up to half a dozen pairs of beady eyes reflected back at me from the tree branches when my headlamp would find them. It was spooky.My dog would go crazy when she saw or sensed the raccoons and I would struggle to hold her leash so she didn’t go after them.

I never thought that these raccoons were particularly dangerous, but I had heard that these trash bin scavengers, which can get as big as 28 inches long and close to 60 pounds, are common carriers of rabies and other serious diseases. I also heard from other dog owners that raccoons can sometime be aggressive and have occasionally attacked smaller dogs.

Fortunately for me and my dog, we never ran across any aggressive raccoons. But there was that one night….

Oops, sorry, my six nine minutes are up.

20 thoughts on “Six Minutes — Give or Take

1. JT Twissel February 24, 2021 / 5:17 pm

I was coming home from work at dusk one night and almost stepped on a trio of raccoons hiding in a storm drain. I have a feeling it wouldn’t have turned out well!

2. Stine Writing February 24, 2021 / 6:32 pm

So happy you participated! Is that other raccoon picture one you took? I didn’t know they can be up to 60 lbs! That is huge! I’m sure other readers will find your facts quite unbelievable too!

• Fandango February 24, 2021 / 7:52 pm

That particular picture was not mine, but I did take one that showed at least six pairs of raccoon eyes staring down at me from a tree but I was unable to find it this afternoon.

3. Marleen February 24, 2021 / 8:12 pm

Great picture. And what clever story telling.

• Marleen February 24, 2021 / 8:20 pm

I meant the picture in the dark at a park. But, most def[initely], the picture prompt of the cute little raccoon is wonderful.

4. John Holton February 25, 2021 / 10:22 am

Trash pandas can get really big, particularly the males, and even though the females are smaller, that’s only relative. The babies are adorable.

5. leigha66 February 27, 2021 / 7:46 pm

They are sometimes in the area at night. They may look cute, but I wouldn’t want one to challenge me.