A Day Off

I’m taking a day off today. No Who Won the Week post, no daily prompts posts. I’m just not I’m not in the mood today.

It’s not like their aren’t plenty of things to write about. Like how aghast I am at the nonsense that’s coming from some state and local school boards. Like the one in San Francisco, of all places, where the school board wants to remove names like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson from schools because they were slave owners. The school board even wants to remove Abraham Lincoln’s name because he didn’t do enough to protect native Americans.

And then there’s the Oregon Board of Education, which believes that asking school kids to show their work during math class is white supremacy. Apparently the Board has determined that “the concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so.” The report added, “Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuates objectivity.” And objectivity is deemed by the Oregon Board of Education to be another apparent “tentpole of white culture and supremacy.” What?

And then there’s Republican Congressman Steve Scalise of Louisiana, the House minority whip, who appeared this morning on ABC’s This Week. It’s been more than three months since Biden won the electoral college 306-232 and the popular vote by more than seven million ballots. It’s been just over a month after the Biden was sworn into office. And yet Scalice, the number two Republican in the House, still refuses to admit that Joe Biden won the 2020 presidential election against Donald Trump. Seriously?

But I’m not going to post about such things today. I just don’t feel like it. Sorry. See you back here tomorrow.

33 thoughts on “A Day Off

1. Mister Bump UK February 21, 2021 / 11:48 am

Aw, man, it sounds like you have enough on your plate anyhow.

Schools can decide what they want but ultimately it is employers who call the shots.

2. K.Hartless February 21, 2021 / 11:49 am

You deserve a day without nonsense, so I hope you can shut it off and take a break from the insanity. I’m thinking I need to schedule the same holiday soon. Cheers!

3. CGraith February 21, 2021 / 1:07 pm

I think you forgot to take the day off…just saying. Scary commentary. The world has truly gone mad. Too bad we can’t blame something like LSD on the craziness. It could be global warming though; or maybe a primal knowledge that the planet is heading toward doom. Good thing I’m an optimist.

4. slmret February 21, 2021 / 1:45 pm

What happened to history and science, and even simple arithmetic?

• Fandango February 21, 2021 / 11:00 pm

I guess none of those courses are politically correct anymore.

5. Stine Writing February 21, 2021 / 5:54 pm

These things you have pointed out are absolutely absurd! Why erase history? Why not just teach kids the good and bad parts of what people did? And how do people of color go along with math being somehow tied to white supremacy? Isn’t it an idea that seems like a white supremacist would thing that math is somehow related in a superior way to white people? Don’t these people realize by banning things and erasing the past only widens the color gap? I mean there are so many things that you could label as “a color” but the more you point out the more bigoted you get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Fandango February 21, 2021 / 11:08 pm

You ask some great questions and I certainly don’t have any rational answers. It’s utter nonsense.

6. Sadje February 21, 2021 / 7:14 pm

A day off may be good for you but seriously! Americans are going bonkers if they will tolerate such nonsense as you’ve just pointed out!

7. tiredhamster February 21, 2021 / 9:42 pm

“And then there’s the Oregon Board of Education, which believes that asking school kids to show their work during math class is white supremacy.” Meh. I can see this. Like, whenever I design a rocket ship that “doesn’t quite work out,” I just tell NASA that “your math isn’t the same as mine.”

8. Marleen February 22, 2021 / 5:09 am

I pick Texas capitalism, which is really Handout-out-to-billionairstopia — even beyond the rest of the country, so far, as bad as the country as a whole is already.

{It seemed, at first, like it could be difficult deciding between Texas and Florida. Florida has a governor who basically said that some people maybe should never get the vaccine — if they wonder out loud why rich people get an over abundance of the vaccine, and first.}

• Marleen February 22, 2021 / 10:26 am

Handouts-to-billionairestopia.

• Marleen February 23, 2021 / 2:39 pm

Texas Pays the Price of the Culture War

Instead of focusing on governance,
        Republican politicians in the
        Lone Star State spent their time inflaming grievances.

FEBRUARY 22, 2021

[ Read: Texas failed because it did not plan ]

I consider us fortunate. The second night, after the power went out again, we were sleeping with our daughter between us to make sure she stayed warm. We awoke to a soft roar, like the inside of a seashell, and realized that our pipes had burst and the nearby bathroom was filling with water. My wife woke up first and turned the water off before our home flooded. Our roof did not collapse. Our home did not catch fire and burn down, as nearby firefighters struggled with empty fire hydrants. We did not run out of food. We were lucky.

The crisis in Texas was preceded by more than a decade of Republican control of state government, as politicians focused on culture-war grievances rather than the nuts and bolts of governance. After the near collapse of the power grid exposed its failures, the state’s political leadership attempted to cover for those failures by doubling down on those same grievances.

………………

I doubt that “We’d freeze to death to own the libs” is a popular sentiment in Texas, but drawing that impression is easy if you’re outside the state, listening to its Republican officials.

As the journalist Brian Kahn noted on Twitter, when California was struggling with much smaller blackouts in late 2020, ambitious Texas Republicans were sneering at the state on social media. Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick said, “This is what happens when the Democrats are left in charge,” while Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced, “California’s politicians did this, not the heat.” U.S. Representative Dan Crenshaw joked, “Alexa, show me what happens when you let Democrats control energy policy.” And {we’ve seen significant coverage on Sen. Cruz’s hypocrisy per} “even basic functions of civilization.” … while his constituents were burning their children’s toys for warmth.

Texas politicians were so interested in California’s struggles last year because California is an easy conservative shorthand for liberalism, and what ambitious Republicans have discerned from the success of Donald Trump is that the best way to attract conservative support is to show that they, too, enjoy it when liberals suffer. Texas has trended blue in recent years, but the Texas GOP remains ruthlessly competent at the work of winning elections even as it fails at governing. …

……

….

…..

Abbott and other Texas Republicans have attempted to blame the power failures on the state’s reliance on wind power, even though wind provides a smaller percentage of energy for the state than natural gas, and natural-gas generators were no less incapacitated by the cold than wind turbines were. Abbott went on Fox News to announce that the storm “shows how the Green New Deal would be a deadly deal for the United States of America.”

The actual issue… was the failure to winterize the system despite a decade of advance warning; both wind- and thermal-power sources can operate in frigid conditions when they are prepared to do so. Blaming wind power or the Green New Deal translates a failure of governance into a matter of partisan political identity, allowing Abbott’s conservative supporters to blame liberals for power failures in a state that hasn’t elected a Democrat to statewide office since The Lion King was in movie theaters.

Other states have had difficulties with their power grid, but that doesn’t mean those problems all have the same causes. The rolling disaster in Texas is easily attributable to more than a decade of Republican Party rule. Texans in certain parts of the state are facing astronomical electricity bills because then-Governor George W. Bush deregulated the state’s electric system. Neither Perry, nor his successor, Abbott, heeded the warnings from FERC a decade ago.

Being a governor is different from being a federal legislator these days, in that the former still tends to understand that they have actual responsibilities besides posturing. … Abbott is now calling for the energy grid to be winterized and is meeting with Democrats in the state legislature to help Texans hit with thousands of dollars in electric bills, saying the state has a “responsibility to protect Texans from spikes in their energy bills that are a result of the severe winter weather and power outages.” *

No free-market fundamentalists in freezing foxholes, I guess. But if your party produced years of deregulation and misgovernance that led to a deadly disaster in your state, you might want to change the subject to wind power too.

Waging the culture war didn’t keep the lights on in Texas, but it might keep ambitious Republican failures in office. If politicians don’t fear being punished for not doing their jobs, they won’t do them.

{I’m not really sure how much some of them care about those specific jobs, as opposed to doing whatever they can for corporations and other rich people.}

* I’m setting this apart for emphasis: With the generous aid of the federal government, naturally.

And I would add that it appears many right-wingers, not only in Texas, would freeze or beat anything to death and put up with so much else “to own the libs.”

Or, really, not even notice the real ineptitude and
        corruption — just keep on with their mantras
        and false gods. “Keep government out of my federal bailout.”

• Marleen February 24, 2021 / 11:06 am

‘Brazen lie’: Chris Hayes calls out Gov. Abbott…
      [and Tucker Carlson, etc.] for Texas power grid lies

“But to the purveyors of the big lie—Republicans like Greg Abbott and his friends on {right wing} [“news”]—this very real and acute suffering is just a vehicle for their political objectives,” says Chris Hayes of the GOP blaming the Green New Deal as millions of Texans freeze. Feb. 17, 2021

9. Marleen February 22, 2021 / 6:11 am

I have only been able, so far, to find that particular math story (including its outrage-own-the-libs slant) on right-wing sites — although I see that Flipboard passed it along. At least I found it’s a “Micro-Course.”

I will add what my fourth son, who is studying to get his masters in accounting right now, said to me this week; unrelated to this Oregon matter, of which I’d bet he hasn’t heard, in terms of his reason to convey the experience.

He was doing some homework. He was getting the correct outcome but being told (online) that he was wrong. He kept looking at it and figured out the machine wanted the shown work to be shown differently. Stupid, but true.

I recall, from geometry in high school, that proofs don’t always have to be one exact way. For real. You have to get all needed steps to show the reasoning, but they can be done in more than one order, for instance.

I will be open to more input on what the school system is doing. But, right now… I don’t trust the counter-hype. (People might not recall, but I was gung-ho conservative most of my life. And dyed-in-the-wool so to speak.)

• Fandango February 22, 2021 / 3:09 pm

I googled Oregon State Board of Education and found a number of articles, and not just from right-wing sites.

10. rugby843 February 22, 2021 / 9:59 am

The pendulum swings.  I just don’t have the heart to fight every day with this ridiculous chain of events.  More surreal every day.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

11. leigha66 February 24, 2021 / 2:07 am

I am glad you didn’t post about any of that stuff, so wild! Ha, ha!