TMP — A Fly in the Ointment

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off.

Today I’m going to rant about planned obsolescence. In 2016 I bought a 65″, flat panel, high definition Samsung TV. It was, at the time, a state of the art, 4k TV. I mounted it on our wall and added a surround sound system. The TV included the ability to access a number of streaming channels, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.

Flash forward to 2021, just a mere five years later. The TV is still working great. The picture is fantastic, the sound system is primo, and I can still stream movies and shows from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.

Now for the fly in the ointment. My wife loves watching HGTV, which is one of the channels of the Discovery network. HGTV has been, for years, available on basic cable.Recently, though, Discovery introduced a streaming service called Discovery+ and they decided, as an incentive to get people to subscribe to it…for a monthly fee of course…that they would be moving a number of the shows that were formerly available on HGTV via cable, to their new streaming service. They would also be adding new shows that would be exclusively on Discovery+, rather than on the basic cable HGTV channel.

So, as a Valentine’s Day present for my wife, I signed up for a one-year subscription to Discovery+. She loved it. Yesterday I turned on my 2016 65″ Samsung high-def TV and tried to add Discovery+ as a streaming channel. But I couldn’t. I went to the Discovery+ website to check on compatible TVs for streaming and saw Samsung on the list. Yay! But then I read the fine print and saw that the Discovery+ streaming service would only work on Samsung models from 2019 or later. Boo!

WHAT? My five year old Samsung HDTV is obsolete?

I contacted Samsung and asked them if there was a software update that would accommodate newer streaming services. The short answer — and by short, I mean curt — was “no.”

In order to be able to watch Discovery+ on my TV, my choices boiled down to buying a new, 2021 model HDTV, which is not an inexpensive proposition, or to buy a separate streaming device that I could plug into my TV. The downside of that latter choice is that I would have yet another remote control device to deal with and I’d have to reset the source (i.e., cable verses streaming device) each time my wife wanted to watch anything on Discovery+. But because it was the cheapest and quickest solution, I ended up ordering a Roku Streaming Stick+, which is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.It’s only $50, but I still resent the fact that my very expensive, five-year-old flat panel high-def TV can’t accommodate virtually any streaming service that is available.

I hate the fact that planned obsolescence seems to be a feature built into nearly every technology device these days.

23 thoughts on “TMP — A Fly in the Ointment

1. Paula Light February 15, 2021 / 10:54 am

Ugh yes. Great peeve! My original Roku, which was supposed to last forever, obsoleted itself, and I had to buy a new one a year or so ago 😡

2. rugby843 February 15, 2021 / 10:58 am

A clear and present danger- streaming tv…I have the same problem.  My grandchildren gifted me Disney+ and STARZ and I have the other two I pay for every month plus $5 a month for PBS.  Now if I want to rewatch older series on PBS I can’t, they have been sold to amazon.  Perfect I thought. I have amazon.  But then found out I can’t because PBS and amazon now have a deal where you have to pay an additional fee of 3$ plus to watch them after signing up for the new stream service.   This is highway robbery IMO.  I am tired of all the greedy companies, amazon being top on my list, taking advantage of the lockdown.  Of course since my ten year old tv blew out during the Jan 6 riots, I have yet to purchase a new one.  My daughter is adamant about me not going out until I receive the second vaccine shot.  So maybe next month I’ll shop for a new tv. This buying and knowing it won’t last is a perfect example of the world today—definitely an old lady’s opinion.  But I’ll add this:  I was watching a series from 1997 and in the kitchen set saw my crockpot on the counter 🤣. It still works fine😀

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

3. cagedunn February 15, 2021 / 12:04 pm

What next? people paid partly with subscriptions? not far off the mark, I think.

4. bushboy February 15, 2021 / 12:47 pm

I read that the EU was going to try a Bill, The Right to Repair, to make items repairable so as to not have so much waste go into landfill

5. Irene February 15, 2021 / 1:45 pm

My husband got one year of free Apple TV with his new iPhone (the champs of planned obsolescence)… and neither our TV nor our Roku supports the app, so, yes, very annoying.

• Fandango February 15, 2021 / 2:38 pm

Oh, I got a year of Apple TV for free with my new iPhone, too. Are you saying that even with my Roku I won’t be able to steal Apple TV?

• Irene February 15, 2021 / 2:40 pm

Maybe your new Roku will support it, ours is a few years old …

• Fandango February 15, 2021 / 2:45 pm

You would think that streaming devices would be able to stream software updates that would prevent them from becoming obsolete.

6. Sadje February 15, 2021 / 7:25 pm

That’s how they make money, by making things obsolete.

7. Taswegian1957 February 16, 2021 / 1:18 am

That is so annoying isn’t it. I would not want to get rid of a perfectly good TV after five years. I expect things to last much longer than that.

8. Marleen February 16, 2021 / 10:19 pm

I, too, hate planned obsolescence. My very nice dishwasher quit like one month after the five-year warrantee was over. Long story about trying to get it fixed anyway (by just paying a repair person). That didn’t work out, so now there’s a long ongoing story about buying a new one and the inability of the store to deliver one that works. So, there’s a dented floor model in there now. Still waiting. At least they offered a level up for all the confusion.

• Marleen February 16, 2021 / 10:49 pm

It is. I just hope they finally figure out how to get a proper one, of the sort I chose, installed. I like to go with 39 decibels. I had originally selected one with a handle that matches my fridge. But I will be receiving one with no handle; that’s fine, as I wasn’t so impressed with the handle anyway. Plus, it’s going to have a light inside. 💡

9. leigha66 February 19, 2021 / 11:08 pm

I had heard about Discovery+ but had not looked into getting it. By the time you do all the streaming services you’re just as well off with cable BUT if series are going to be exclusive to the streaming channel that is going to put a big dent in cable tv.

• Fandango February 19, 2021 / 11:23 pm

I think all these streaming services are getting people to cut the proverbial cable.