TMP — It’s Complicated

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off.

Three months ago, on November 3rd, WordPress launched its latest version of the iOS app for the iPhone/iPad and it automatically uploaded to my phone. I discovered that it had a serious bug in that updated version, a bug that prevented me from liking or commenting on posts that I visited from my reader. I initially wrote about it here. And it you’re a regular reader of my responses to Paula’s The Monday Peeve, you know I’ve posted about it here several times as well. Like here and here.

Well, I’m back with another peeve about that as yet unresolved bug. On February 3rd, the three month “anniversary” of the buggy release of the iOS app from WordPress, I once again contacted the “Happiness Engineers.” I wrote:

Three months. That’s how long it’s been since WordPress released version 16.0 of the iOS app. As soon as I loaded that release on my iPhone, I noticed that I could no longer, from either my Reader or my Notifications, like some other bloggers’ posts nor could I leave a comment on them. It was as if, even though I was logged on to WordPress via the app, the app didn’t recognize me as a logged-on WordPress user when I went to those sites. After doing a lot of troubleshooting on my own, I realized that I could like and leave comments on posts where the blogger’s address had “.wordpress.com” in it. But for those blogs that don’t have “.wordpress.com” in the blog address — even my own blog, which is “fivedotoh.com” — I could not like or comment on them when I visited them. I have been engaged with various happiness engineers multiple times since November 3, 2020, when that version 16.0 of the iOS app was released, and have been told that the bug has been identified and replicated and that the app development team has been working on a fix.

Here’s the response I got.

Our team has been working really hard to try and find a fix on this, but it’s been a lot more complicated than it might appear. Thank you for your understanding!

It’s complicated? Thanks for my understanding? Are you fucking kidding me?

Hey, I’m sorry if you’re getting tired of hearing about this, but it’s Monday and Paula has invited us to rant about something that pisses us off. And this really, really pisses me off.

13 thoughts on “TMP — It’s Complicated

1. rugby843 February 8, 2021 / 10:39 am

Now that my grandson “upgraded” me to this older iPhone I am having those exact problems.  My Samsung galaxy had problems but WP is now getting harder to use.  I have to reply in email to comment.  Even after putting in all my info on the site posts, it tells me “unable to post comment”. So frustrating😩

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

• Fandango February 8, 2021 / 11:50 am

It is frustrating and I am so angry that the WordPress developers, after more than three months, haven’t come up with a fix. It’s exasperating.

2. Marilyn Armstrong February 8, 2021 / 10:44 am

Got a call from a friend in Arizona who just found he can’t get wifi on anything right now. I know that doesn’t help you with your WordPress problem, but there are big problems all over the country right now. Overload!

Also, I think that WP’s fancy new format is really the root of the problem. Every now and then I try to use their “new” format — but then I try to insert pictures and it goes haywire. And their “new media format” totally SUCKS. You don’t do a lot of pictures, but for those of us who do, it’s absolutely maddening. Plus, half the time when I save a post or a comment, it doesn’t save and I have to do it again. It does it on MY site AND on everyone else’s. This is another case of fixing something that wasn’t broken.

NOW it’s broken, but they won’t FIX it.

• Fandango February 8, 2021 / 11:51 am

It’s maddening, isn’t it. 😡

3. RuthScribbles February 8, 2021 / 4:50 pm

I posted a complaint today too. I found that if I log into WordPress via browser, and then went to app, I think I was able to like…. but I may be making that up – unintentionally!

• Fandango February 8, 2021 / 10:11 pm

I’m logged onto WordPress on Safari, but I still can’t like posts that I visit if they don’t have “.wordpress.com” in the blog’s address.

4. Sadje February 8, 2021 / 6:48 pm

I can only comment on posts if I’m going through the WP app reader. Otherwise…..

5. leigha66 February 12, 2021 / 10:42 pm

I find it hard to believe they are working very hard on it… if they can reprogram the editor they should be able to fix a bug sooner that three months and counting. A fitting Monday Peeve! … and Tuesday, and Wednesday and…