Truthful Tuesday — Navigating the Unfamiliar

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. This week Frank wants to know…

When it comes to navigation in unfamiliar territory, do you shun technology, relying on traditional maps and written directions, or do you leave the atlas behind letting GPS and Google Maps guide the way?

Paper maps? That’s so twentieth century, dude.

I have fully embraced satellite mapping technologies and GPS apps. I use Google Maps to get anywhere, familiar or unfamiliar territory alike. Even if I know how to get to my destination, Google Maps will indicate where traffic is heavy or backed up and will even suggest alternative routes. Can paper maps do that?

I also use Google Maps when I go biking or hiking, as it can show me the best bike routes and hiking trails.

Paper maps? Ha! Fuhgeddaboudit!

11 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Navigating the Unfamiliar

1. Sadje January 26, 2021 / 8:09 am

Same here for unfamiliar places. But if I know the area, I rely on my memory and awareness of the traffic patterns.

2. JT Twissel January 26, 2021 / 2:19 pm

Now that we have google maps what do we do with our huge collections of paper maps? Therein lies the conundrum.

3. abigfatcanofworms January 26, 2021 / 8:38 pm

I am tech mapped too. So easy in modern cars. But I remember coming to this city to visit my now husband in the early 2000s. I had an old car in which the interior light was broken. I had no mobile phone. I arrived late at night in an unfamiliar city and got lost in the suburban streets. I had to get out and look at the map by the head lights. It was very challenging. How will my love ds learn to read maps? I can’t believe it’s time to get rid of paper completely. Especially here in Australia where about 90% of the country has no internet coverage (between cities). So I am very torn on this whole bravo technology thing.

• abigfatcanofworms January 26, 2021 / 8:43 pm

Damn. That is supposed to say “how will my kids learn…”. Kids is one word my phone frequently gets wrong. I don’t know why.

• Fandango January 26, 2021 / 10:47 pm

I have certain letters that I guess my finger doesn’t tap hard enough on my phone’s virtual keyboard. I can’t tell you how many times the word “don’t” winds up being “do t” when I go back and read what I posted!

• Marleen January 26, 2021 / 9:03 pm

I always loved maps. Yet, their use is challenging at times… as you noted.

• Fandango January 26, 2021 / 10:44 pm

Yeah, I can see where not having internet coverage could be a problem.

4. amoralegria January 26, 2021 / 9:19 pm

I agree, Fandango, but there are times when maps are still necessary – such as places where technology isn’t available. I hate it when I can’t get anything on my GPS because there’s no satellite service in that remote location. I never have that problem with my car GPS, though I suppose it could happen. I just really like maps. I can spend hours poring over them. They help in planning, when I need to see the big picture. So when we go on car trips, we always have maps with us, as well as GPS.

5. leigha66 January 28, 2021 / 11:53 pm

Google maps is wonderful. The only trouble is I like to take the highway routes instead of interstate and it rarely shows that as an option. I have yet to try to tackle GPS though. The best thing about Google is you don’t have to struggle trying to refold it correctly.