TMP — Just Shoot Me

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off.

Okay, I’m a patient man, but my patience is wearing thin. I’m in what is considered to be a high risk group when it comes to COVID-19. It’s not because I have any underlying medical conditions that would make me more susceptible to the virus. It’s because I’m an old fart.

I was very happy to learn a few weeks ago that those of us who are 65 and older were moved up into the top tier group when it comes to vaccination priorities. Yay. I may survive this scourge yet!

As soon as that news came out, I logged on to my county’s health department website and filled out and submitted an online form to request an appointment for a vaccination. Two weeks went by and I heard bupkis…until this past Friday.

That’s when I got an email from the county health department.

As you might imagine, there is a lot of excitement about getting the COVID-19 vaccine and we are working our way through hundreds of requests. We just wanted to send you a quick note saying we haven’t forgotten you. We are still reviewing your request to receive a COVID-19 vaccination and will be providing you further information soon. If you are eligible for vaccination, expect an email in the coming days with instructions on how to schedule an appointment.

Wait, what? “If I’m eligible”? You’re the people who notified me that I am eligible. You already know that I’m eligible.

So I guess I’ll have to continue to be patient as I wait to see whether or not I’ll get vaccinated against COVID-19 before I succumb to it.

21 thoughts on “TMP — Just Shoot Me

1. Marilyn Armstrong January 25, 2021 / 11:29 am

They have run out of vaccines. Underneath all the bullshit, they don’t have anymore vaccines to give. It’s true all over the country. Also true all over Europe. They are just trying to save their asses.

2. Mister Bump UK January 25, 2021 / 11:30 am

Excellent. I was thinking of doing a post about vaccinations tomorrow. Mind if I use your image?
    Oh, and that email sounds like it was a blanket response sent to everybody who has applied, The only thing you should take from that is that they received your application.

• Fandango January 25, 2021 / 1:17 pm

Feel free to use the image, Pete. And yes, I know it was a mass-mailed, impersonal response. But you’re right. The did receive my application.

• Mister Bump UK January 25, 2021 / 11:37 pm

… which of course you already knew rge moment you filled out the form! It is just a message saying “our system works”.

3. pensitivity101 January 25, 2021 / 11:47 am

They are calling the over 70s here at the moment, giving them 2 hours notice to get to the surgery building for their first jab. We’re 65 and way down the list but may well get a phone call in March or April, that is if there’s any vaccine left.

4. theministryofshrawleywalks January 25, 2021 / 2:30 pm

So in America you have to apply? Wow here in GB we are notified by the NHS, theres 9 groups (I don’t make the cut being 49 and therefore will have to wait my turn when ever this is. My folks both their mid 80’s received a letter and have had the vaccine, they were meant to have the second jab this week but apparently GB is trying to get as many people done with one jab as possible and aim to have the top 4 tiers done by mid Feb! 3 weeks! I hope it happens but I do worry that getting the folk in for one jab is a lot easier than getting them in for their second at the appropriate time although the take up seems good. I hope you get your jab Mr Fandango and it seems pretty unfair to me to tell you one thing and then then ask you to wait to see if you qualify. It’s an enormous undertaking and I guess we have to be patient but I can tell you now theres an awful lot of people who are pretty pissed off with it all and the governments would do well to not piss them off further. Christ its an awful predicament we find ourselves in isn’t it?

• Fandango January 25, 2021 / 10:32 pm

Yes, at least where I live, we have to apply to our local county health department just to set up an appointment once we are deemed qualified to receive one. Unfortunately, it seems to be a “hurry up and wait” situation. It is a pretty awful situation.

• Fandango January 25, 2021 / 10:47 pm

Yeah, that gives me pause as well. What normally takes years was done in record time and I just heard today from a medical professional (although I haven’t been able to confirm this) is that those who have been vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine may not be protected against contracting the virus from those who got the Moderna vaccine and vice versa. And there are questions about whether either of these vaccines are effective against the South African or Brazilian variants. It’s a big old mess.

• James Pyles January 26, 2021 / 5:09 am

Agreed. My concern is how well these vaccines are being marketed, to the point where people so fear COVID that they’ll do anything, even roll the dice with the vaccine, rather than pause and do some research.

5. SadiRose January 26, 2021 / 2:02 am

This is one of the reasons why I declined my invitation. I got moved to the first group because I volunteer for the medical community? I don’t volunteer with patients. Anyway, I am not sure I trust the vaccine or my reaction to it. I do hope you get it soon. And I certainly hope you never succumb to it.

6. animar64 January 26, 2021 / 7:48 am

I ride a commuter train to and from work, I work with an idiot who hangs out with her anti vaxxer anti mask family so even though I’m in my 50’s with no health issues they don’t even want to see me until the Summer. Super. If one of those morons I ride the train with or my Co-Worker doens’t spread her germs around after going to one of her Super Spreader Family Gatherings I guess someone will help me then, right?

7. Marleen January 26, 2021 / 8:10 am

I’m rethinking whether or not I want to be vaccinated for covid-19. I, at least, know I don’t want this first vaccine. They don’t know how long the effect is good for (in terms of the receiver of the jab), and they don’t think it protects others around you from the virus.

I already actually had the virus and the symptoms. I might be as innoculated as anyone can be. I didn’t have a test, but I know someone (ex brother-in-law) who was given a home test that got lost in shipment back to the lab. They told him the symptoms meant he had it.

My Monday Peeve was calling UPS to schedule a pickup and finding that the address they have for tracking me is in California (and not even an old location where I did indeed live there decades ago). Some random address. This is after having other issues leading to the return.

I don’t know if the shipping company folks were somehow given that address by the company that I’m dealing with in regard to goods I’m keeping, returning, or exchanging… or if this erroneous data point originated in some other manner. Whose error is this, I wonder.

• Marleen January 26, 2021 / 8:15 am

Not that I’m anybody who can get to the front of the line anyway. I’m not over sixty-five. I don’t have any preexisting conditions. I don’t work in the health world, nor in the banking industry.

8. Alice DeForest January 26, 2021 / 1:48 pm

That happened to me too and then one morning I got the call to go in that afternoon. And the staff of the health department looked exhausted as everyone complained to them. It will come together but be prepared to go when they call

9. leigha66 January 28, 2021 / 6:16 pm

I don’t qualify for the age yet, but with asthma I have a pre-existing condition. I think that puts me in the third tier here. I hope you get your shot soon. I’m not expecting mine until summer at the earliest.