Who Won the Week? 01/24/2021

FWWTWThe idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

In the recent past, I have often have a hard time figuring out who or what I want to designate as the winner of my Who Won the Week post. But this week, my cup runneth over. Do I pick Joe Biden, the competent, experienced, empathetic, compassionate, and sane man who took the oath of office on Wednesday as America’s new President? How about Kamala Harris, the first ever female, Black, and South Asian to serve as Vice President? How about the two new Democratic senators from Georgia, Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock, the state’s first Jewish senator and the first Black Democratic senator, respectively, whose runoff election victories gave control of the U.S. Senate to the Democrats.

Well, I have decided to go with Amanda Gorman, the 22-year-old poet and activist from Los Angeles, and the youngest inaugural poet in U.S. history. On January 20th, this remarkable young woman captured the hearts and minds of most Americans when she recited her poem, “The Hill We Climb.”

I’d never heard her before this past Wednesday, but there she was, standing straight as an arrow behind the podium, a young woman having a moment that was as close to a viral sensation as poets get in American culture. Her slow, deliberate delivery emphasized the spellbinding and healing nature of her words, words that we weary Americans needed to hear. She enchanted most in the live audience and to many of us — including me — who watched her on television, she brought tears to our eyes.

Take a few moments to watch this incredibly gifted and poised young woman. I’m sure you’ll agree that Amanda Gorman won the week.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

33 thoughts on “Who Won the Week? 01/24/2021

1. relaxitsallwrite January 24, 2021 / 10:14 am

That was amazing. You can feel her truth and passion as she speaks. Excellent choice for this week, Fandango

• Fandango January 24, 2021 / 11:11 pm

Thanks. She truly is remarkable and so incredibly poised for a 22 year-old young woman in that situation. She blew me away.

2. Ruth January 24, 2021 / 12:00 pm

Oh yes, I was going to choose her too for this week – what an amazing young lady, and what an amazing performance of her poetry, it was just perfect to sum up the mood of the day 🙂

3. James Pyles January 24, 2021 / 2:15 pm

You’ve read my feelings so I won’t expand upon them here except to say this:

“When I went under, the world was at war. I wake up, they say we won. They didn’t say what we lost.” -Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans) in the 2012 film “The Avengers”

• Fandango January 24, 2021 / 11:17 pm

And you’ve read my feelings, James, so I won’t say anything more.

• Fandango January 24, 2021 / 11:18 pm

I know! It’s great, isn’t it?

4. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing January 24, 2021 / 4:18 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Her poetry reduced me to tears. The words, and her recital of them, were so moving. I love too that she suffered with a speech impediment like Joe Biden and managed to overcome it. Yes she definitely won the week and stole the spotlight at least for a little while. I have a feeling we will be seeing more of that young lady in the years ahead. ☺️

• Fandango January 24, 2021 / 11:20 pm

“I have a feeling we will be seeing more of that young lady in the years ahead.” I am sure we will. She’s so impressive.

5. annieasksyou January 24, 2021 / 8:11 pm

I was going to say “Democracy,” but I’ll happily agree with you—and I like your description very much. She’s an amazing talent, and her delivery was as superb as her word choice.

One important note: the young man who flawlessly recited JFK’s speech was the stutterer whose meeting with Biden, he said, changed his life. I don’t have his name handy, but he won plaudits for his courage after his first public appearance. He’s come so far since then that he simply appeared as an articulate and polished speaker—no big deal (!). But imagine all the work that’s gone into both these young people’s achieving such erudition.

And how lovely that our President and First Lady find and publicly recognize such talent. (Jill Biden invited Amanda Gordon after hearing her read her work.)

6. leigha66 January 25, 2021 / 6:50 pm

She is a remarkable young woman. The best choice possible I think, but wasn’t it nice to have lots of things to choose from?

• Fandango January 25, 2021 / 10:49 pm

Yes it was. I hope I have such quality choices every week!