SoCS — Jail

For today’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt from Linda G. Hill, we are asked to “open a book, a newspaper, or whatever is handy and close your eyes and point. Whatever word or picture your finger lands on, make that the basis of your SoCS/JusJoJan post.”

Alrighty then. I reached for the latest edition of The Week magazine, closed my eyes, opened the magazine up to a random page, placed my finger on that page, and then opened my eyes. My finger was on the word “jail.” It was contained in a short article about a Vermont home listed for sale that includes a jail in its basement. Here’s a picture that accompanied the article.Why anyone would want a home with a jail in the basement, I surely don’t know. But the article went on to say that the real estate agent who listed the house was encouraging prospective buyers to dream up new uses for the jail cells. “Bring your own ideas on what this 28’ x 40’ wing could be,” the circular advertising the house said.

Hmm. Maybe I’ll buy the place and offer to lease the basement to the U.S. government, just in case they’re in the market for a venue to house a certain corrupt former President.

Photo credit: Realtor.com.

15 thoughts on “SoCS — Jail

1. Sadje January 23, 2021 / 8:03 am

Lol! That would be a good use of a “home jail”.

2. Marleen January 23, 2021 / 8:56 am

Get it zoned as a private prison. Nah, that won’t happen. Such a small space wouldn’t be for the real players in that capitalist racket. Ick.

3. Melanie B Cee January 23, 2021 / 9:20 am

Lordie. That image summoned up thoughts of Hannibal Lecter (although I know he didn’t imprison his victims ((besides being a character in a fictional book)) ). People in cages in your basement. Hmmm. There’s no doubt a really odd story associated with that place..

4. rugby843 January 23, 2021 / 10:53 am

In high school, our field for gym class was overlooked by a jail. For one class, probably Civics, we were taken on a tour of it. Not any place any one would want to be.

5. Carol anne January 23, 2021 / 11:23 am

Lol! Who in their right mind wants a house with a jail in it? Weirdness!

6. cagedunn January 23, 2021 / 2:15 pm

What I could do with a house hiding a cellar-bound jail. Oh, boy, what I could do …

• cagedunn January 24, 2021 / 12:37 am

The way to stay out of those places — the legit ones — is to never tell. Never, ever tell anyone what you plan. Ever.

7. Laura January 23, 2021 / 3:00 pm

Well now that sounds like an excellent use for the space…