Friday Fictioneers — The News Anchor

Jim’s lifelong ambition was to be a television news anchor for a national network. After years of kicking around local TV stations, Jim finally got his big break and was called in to audition for a co-anchor position on a prime-time cable news network show.

He aced the audition and was thrilled when he was offered the job. The first night of his co-anchor role finally arrived. The lights came on, the cameras started to roll, and when Jim’s co-anchor was about to introduce Jim, she looked around and saw that he was sprawled out on the floor, having fainted.

(100 words)

Written for Rochelle Wisoff-Field’s Friday Fictioneers prompt. Photo credit: Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.

20 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — The News Anchor

1. Marleen January 22, 2021 / 2:27 pm

I enjoyed Jonathan Capehart’s personal story of becoming an anchor/host for his own show, recently (maybe a month ago). Your story, crafted here, sounds realistic and provides reason to reflect on the job. I think it would be somewhat less stressful, particularly emotionally or on a human level, to be an old-style anchor (although there is always the element of straight public speaking involved) than to be the current type of host who has to react fresh, on air, all the time, and interview all kinds of people live daily. The gobbledegook is wearying. It’s not clear how much they are proactive, and how much they perceive they have to overlook and how much is sort of rote or handed to them. I’m sure it varies.

2. msjadeli January 22, 2021 / 5:07 pm

Talk about rotten luck! Hoping they don’t fire him. If they don’t it’s a story he can tell others about for years 🙂

• Fandango January 22, 2021 / 10:06 pm

Yeah, I hope they give him another chance. And, yes, someday he’ll look back in it and laugh.

3. Sandi January 22, 2021 / 9:37 pm

At least he didn’t throw up on his co-anchor! 🙂

Hey you! Hope all is well!

• Fandango January 22, 2021 / 10:14 pm

Sandi? Yikes. Where have you been? Are you back?

• Sandi January 22, 2021 / 10:23 pm

I dunno. I typed a couple of posts today. I got laid off again. I was working full time for a while. But it snowed today and I’ve been home a week now. Might get back into the swing of things. 🙂 It depends on who I can find to read that’s interesting. Glad to see you are still here. Suggestions for other blog sites?

• Fandango January 22, 2021 / 11:13 pm

Well, Jim Adams is still around. Remember him? You’re not on your old Flip Flops site anymore, right? If I remember correctly, you moved with your family to Oregon or Washington and found religion, maybe. Anyway, what’s your blog’s address? I’d like to read about what you’ve been up to.

• Sandi January 23, 2021 / 7:24 am

YES – remember Jim!!! And YES – we did move to Oregon! Good memory! and hahahaha I didn’t really “find” religion -I always believed in GOD…I just forgot about it for a while. And yes, I did change blogs to make a different focus – but I’m still me – typing up the same things/ways – just different articles here and there. The site honestly needs some maintenance, and I only have 2 recent posts, that are not belief related.
            I mix it up. And really it’s about the funny thoughts or images that pop into my head while I’m reading a passage. 🙂 I fear some “educated” Bible Thumper might fight Blasphemous. SO I’M STILL ME, still the same sense of humor! 🙂

4. Bear January 24, 2021 / 6:38 am

Nerves… it will do it everytime. Great story.

5. Nobbinmaug January 24, 2021 / 10:06 am

That’s a good start. Get it out of the way. It can only get better from there.