Two Weeks

Two weeks ago today I sat transfixed in front of my television screen, tears streaming down my eyes, as I watched in horror and despair a siege of the U.S. Capitol building in an attempted insurrection against the United States of America by far-right MAGA-maniacs inspired by none other than the then-sitting president, Donald Trump. I feared that I was witnessing the collapse of the American Democracy.

Two weeks later — today — I sat transfixed in front of my television screen, tears streaming down my eyes, as I watched with enormous pride the inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris and witnessed the restoration of the American Democracy.Two weeks ago I was ashamed to be an American. Two weeks later, and for the first time in four long years, I am once again proud to be an American.

What a difference two weeks makes.

Photo credit: Alex Wong/Getty Images.

18 thoughts on “Two Weeks

1. Marilyn Armstrong January 20, 2021 / 7:38 pm

Isn’t it amazing? I’ve cried twice in two weeks — at the attempted coup and this inauguration. We can breathe again.

2. Irene January 21, 2021 / 8:01 am

I felt the same, as a neighbourly neighbour. I think the test on American Democracy is not over yet, but the odds for success sure look brightly strong after Georgia’s amazing results, and yesterday’s moving inauguration. Congratulations!

• Fandango January 21, 2021 / 10:28 pm

Thanks. I agree that the struggle is not over, but I’m feeling optimistic and hopeful for the first time in a long time.

3. Marleen January 21, 2021 / 7:10 pm

I love that Colbert, last night, had asterisks after “the” T… in news stories he referenced. (I assume it was The Late Show, and not CNN and the AP, who did that.) It’s so nice, too, to hear people say “the president” thus and so — and not have to picture you-know-who. I enjoyed the background story of the Biden family bible (pictured above).

• Fandango January 21, 2021 / 10:53 pm

Yes, Colbert has refused to show T****’s name in print.

4. leigha66 January 22, 2021 / 12:22 pm

It was a long two weeks but worth the wait far a chance to hope and dream again.