TMP — Finger Pointing

It’s been two-and-a-half months since WordPress released version 16.0 of it’s iOS app for the iPhone (and iPad). As soon as it uploaded to my iPhone on November 3rd, I discovered a very disconcerting bug. This bug prevents me from liking or commenting on a number of blogs when I go to them from my Reader or from my Notifications. If your blog doesn’t have “.wordpress.com” in its address, fuhgeddaboudit, I can’t like or leave a comment on your posts.

I’ve contacted WordPress about this bug multiple times, and they keep telling me that they are working on it and hope to have a fix in an upcoming app update, but they’ve just released version 16.4 of the iOS app, and it’s still not fixed. Now the WordPress Happiness Engineers are blaming Apple and a recent security upgrade to iOS 14 for the problem. Apple is saying that it’s a WordPress issue.

So after two-and-a-half months, WordPress is pointing the finger at Apple and Apple is pointing the finger at WordPress. And we iPhone/iPad users are left to sit on our fingers and rotate.

GRRR!

This post was written for Paula Light’s The Monday Peeve, where she gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off.

22 thoughts on “TMP — Finger Pointing

• Paula Light January 18, 2021 / 3:11 pm

Wish they would fix this glitch! And also give a single-space option…

• Fandango January 18, 2021 / 10:30 pm

But you’re not having a problem liking or commenting on some posts? I can do it from the reader as long as I don’t actually “visit” the blog. But I prefer to visit the blog versus reading it in Reader view because when you “visit” it, you see it formatted the way the blogger wants it to look, which is not always the case in Reader view.

• Paula Light January 18, 2021 / 10:34 pm

Oh. Yes, when I jump out of the app to visit, some blogs don’t let me like or comment. I quit trying and use the app reader almost exclusively..

• Fandango January 18, 2021 / 10:44 pm

I do that too in the Reader for blogs I follow, but if someone whose blog I’m not following leaves a comment on one of my posts and it shows up in my notifications and I click on “Read the source post,” if the commenter’s blog address doesn’t have “.WordPress.com” in it, I can’t like or comment on their post because it takes me to their blog view, not the Reader view.

• Paula Light January 18, 2021 / 11:09 pm

I think I’m the same. Which sucks! It’s just that I hardly do that these days with so many in my feed already

• Fandango January 18, 2021 / 10:26 pm

When I want to do single-space, I use the HTML/text tab instead of the visual editor and delete the lines. It’s simple in HTML.

1. bushboy January 18, 2021 / 5:16 pm

Why not get a cheap android phone, load WP and see what happens then you’ll know if it’s WP or Apple who has caused misery

• Fandango January 18, 2021 / 10:33 pm

Might just try that. Maybe you know of someone who has a cheap Android phone they want to sell?

2. Sadje January 18, 2021 / 7:04 pm

That’s so annoying. I don’t think they’ll ever fix it.

3. Melanie B Cee January 19, 2021 / 9:18 am

We’ve discussed this before I believe, but today I was prompted to write an instruction post outlining a fairly simple way to comment on the .org and .blog blogs. Maybe it will work for you? OR (and I know you find it a pain in the ass, and I don’t blame you for sticking to your guns) use your laptop. Less chance of an ulcer or stroke that way my friend.

4. leigha66 January 20, 2021 / 3:23 pm

It sucks that they don’t have that fixed yet. Maybe it will be a special Valentine for you next month, after all I know how much you love the happiness engineers! 🤔