Who Won the Week? 01/17/2021

FWWTWThe idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

I have been a fan of the New England Patriots football team for many years and I have to give credit to the team’s head coach, Bill Belichick. He’s been the Patriots’ head coach since 2000 and has won six Super Bowls, a record for a head coach in the NFL. He’s also been a friend and supporter of Donald Trump, which has bothered me.

Then I read that Donald Trump was going to bestow upon Bill Belichick the Presidential Medal of Freedom. And that was the last straw. If Belichick was going to accept that honor — which if given by any other president, would, indeed, be an honor — I would never again root for the Patriots or any other team Bill Belichick coached.

But then Belichick announced that he was declining the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which he was scheduled to receive from Donald Trump this past Thursday. Belichick cited the tragic events of January 6th, when pro-Trump rioters laid siege to the U.S. Capitol. Five people died, including a U.S. Capitol Police officer, and many were injured during the Trump-inspired chaos.

Belichick said he was flattered by the honor, but he ultimately chose to decline it, saying, “Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom, and democracy.”

So this week I am bestowing upon Bill Belichick the Fandango’s Who Won the Week award for telling Donald Trump precisely where he can stuff his Presidential Medal of Freedom.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

20 thoughts on “Who Won the Week? 01/17/2021

• annieasksyou January 17, 2021 / 8:55 pm

It was great that Belichick declined the award, but my heart goes to Rep. Jamie Raskin, who—grieving over the loss of his clearly extraordinary 25-year-old son—didn’t hesitate when Nancy Pelosi asked him to lead the effort to convict one Donald W. Trump.

• Fandango January 17, 2021 / 10:52 pm

Yes, I agree. Maybe the important task at hand will help him keep his mind off of the tragedy of losing his son.

1. rugby843 January 17, 2021 / 9:23 am

Much as I hate the fact that football reigns in high schools with funding that could be spent on better things, I concede his decline of the award was a good thing. What the hell is a Medal of Freedom doing going to a football coach anyway? Another Trump piece of crap along with all his pardons. How did we get so low?

• Fandango January 17, 2021 / 5:32 pm

It is remarkable, isn’t it. And not in a good way.

• Fandango January 17, 2021 / 10:31 pm

If awarded by Donald Trump, I completely agree.

2. Marleen January 17, 2021 / 2:34 pm

Fandango’s Who Won the Week is a much greater honor than being grouped with Rush Limbaugh as recognized by an insurrectionist in chief. Great pick, Fandango. It’s really saying something when that guy (of nail salon prostitution fame) has more class and sense than the POTUS. Thanks for sharing his statement, which I hadn’t heard (although I knew he declined): Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom, and democracy.

• Marleen January 17, 2021 / 3:33 pm

As for football, I choose Andy Reid.

• Marleen January 19, 2021 / 1:38 pm

Here’s why I decided to say something about someone coaching in Missouri on Sunday.

Andy Reid: There was ‘no doubt’ Chiefs were going for it on … › news › andy-reid-there-was-no-doubt-c…
        2 days ago — Reid didn’t coach scared when Henne entered the game. Nope, he called passes for the veteran quarterback. Even after a horrific deep interception from Henne, Reid still put the ball in the QB’s hand on the final drive. Reid was rewarded for his faith.

• Fandango January 17, 2021 / 10:38 pm

I think it was actually Robert Kraft, the owner of the Patriots, and not Bill Belichick, the head coach, who was caught up in that massage parlor/prostitution thing.

• Marleen January 17, 2021 / 10:52 pm

That’s right! Sorry, and thanks!

3. leigha66 January 19, 2021 / 12:57 pm

This one is easy for me… my daughter and brand new son-in-law. In spite of the pandemic they donned masks and had a measly 5 people in the pews, but still got married on their chosen date this Saturday. There will be a large ceremony and reception once it is safe to, but I am so happy for the two of them and the life they have ahead of them.

I had not heard about Trump trying to give the Medal of Freedom to Bill Belichick. I am baffled by what coaching a football team has to do with the Medal of Freedom? Glad he turned it down.