Heartbreaking

U.S. Congresswomen Linda Sánchez (D-California)

Yesterday afternoon, while watching the breaching of the U. S. Capitol building by Trump supporters, I listened to a telephone interview of California congresswoman Linda Sánchez with Nicole Wallace of MSNBC. Ms. Sánchez had barricaded herself in a windowless room within the Capitol building while chaos was happening right outside the door.

In the interview, the frightened congresswoman tearfully told Nicole that she called her husband the night before the Capitol building was breached.

“I told him that I was coming into work today, but that should anything happen, I let him know where my last will and testament was located in the event that we needed it. It’s a sad day in America when you are trying to come in and do your job in a democracy and you have to think about things like that. I have an eleven year old son who I want to be around to raise and people who are breaking down barriers and are bursting into the Capitol and who are armed make it really hard to do that.”

I teared up listening to that call, imagining what I, as a parent, would be experiencing under those horrific circumstances.

Thanks to Donald Trump and his angry mob of MAGA fanatics for terrorizing the nation.

41 thoughts on “Heartbreaking

1. lifelessons January 7, 2021 / 4:51 pm

But the great thing is that it totally backfired on him and finally created a situation no rational person could turn their back on. (Not that this hadn’t been true countless times before–but this time they actually tipped. With the exception of eight whose names will be remembered, right? and more in the House.

• Fandango January 7, 2021 / 11:34 pm

Reports are that he was watching it on TV and was enjoying it, and most of those who stormed the Capitol building are as yet unpunished. I think they and Trump think this was a win.

2. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing January 7, 2021 / 5:04 pm

It is heartbreaking. She knew something might happen so how come the FBI didn’t do anything to prevent it. Oh yes, wait… Trump made sure they didn’t do anything. I watched Ari Melber’s show on MSNBC tonight and he was showing pics from yesterday and the police were letting those monsters take selfies with them. You could actually see the police moving the barriers so they could advance into the Capitol. Now compare that lax effort to the violence the police used striking peaceful protesters in Lafayette Square for BLM back in the summer. Trump had different orders for that event. Bastard 😡

• Fandango January 7, 2021 / 11:36 pm

I know. Anyone with half a brain could have/should have known something like this would happen and been prepared for it. It’s shameful.

3. annieasksyou January 7, 2021 / 5:40 pm

He must be gone ASAP! He can do much more damage in thirteen days. Impeachment, though conviction’s unlikely, must proceed.

And then the US Attorney must investigate charging him with inciting an insurrection. The Republicans who participated in the march must also have to answer for their ill deeds.

And we need intense investigations of the influence of white supremacists in decision-making positions in national and state governments, police forces, and the military.

• Fandango January 7, 2021 / 11:38 pm

I completely agree. He (and they) should not be allowed to get away with this.

• Fandango January 7, 2021 / 11:40 pm

Even some GOP members of Congress are making that claim. 😡

4. Maggie January 7, 2021 / 6:57 pm

It was a horrific day. I stayed up to watch the debate on Pennsylvania electoral votes in the House and I was stunned watching some of the new members of the House. There are concerning signs of these future legislators. There is always someone in the wings grooming themselves to become the next wannabe dictator.

5. Marleen January 7, 2021 / 7:27 pm

Well… this nut case is the type to add more hurt by denying what was experienced was real — the way there were deniers that little children died in a shooting. And she wants Pence put to death because he’s a commie. Pence was there, yesterday, to follow the proper laws; he had to be sheltered as well.

6. abigfatcanofworms January 7, 2021 / 9:44 pm

I heard that interview. Can’t imagine how terrifying it must’ve been. My husband just can’t stop talking about how the police basically ushered the rioters in and how the people who have been arrested have only been arrested for breaking curfew. It’s all very disturbing.

7. Carol anne January 8, 2021 / 8:27 am

thats so heartbreaking! I hope she got out safely! Trump is a disgusting piece of trash!

• Fandango January 8, 2021 / 11:01 am

The good news is that she did get out safely. The bad news is that Trump is a disgusting piece of trash and yet he’s still President.

8. Patty Gordon January 8, 2021 / 10:58 am

I’m a proud republican and no republican I know would storm the capital like that.

I would encourage everyone in this day and age that if you weren’t there and didn’t see it physically with your own eyes you should be wary of casting judgement against people. 99% of the people there weren’t a part of the group that broke into the capital. To call all of his followers radicals or terrorists is horrible!

• Fandango January 8, 2021 / 11:26 am

I don’t call all of Trump’s followers radicals or terrorists. I call them gullible, naïve, and delusional for believing anything that comes out of his lying mouth. Maybe no Republican you know would storm the Capitol building like that, but every one who did was Republican. Does that make you a proud Republican?

9. leigha66 January 9, 2021 / 1:15 pm

Heartbreaking is true. No one should fear for their life in a job like that. So glad she made it out alright.