Song Lyric Sunday — Double P

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday prompt, Jim Adams has asked us to select a song where the title of song must start with the letter P or G. There are a lot of songs to choose from, but for some reason my mind flashed back to 1962 and Freddy “Boom Boom” Cannon’s “Palisades Park.”

“Palisades Park” was written by Chuck Barris and recorded by Freddy Cannon. Cannon, was an American rock and roll singer, whose biggest international hits included “Tallahassee Lassie,” “Way Down Yonder in New Orleans, ” and, of course, “Palisades Park.” Cannon got the nickname “Boom Boom” Cannon due to the thumping power of his recordings.

The song was released as the B-side to “June, July and August,” but “Palisades Park” broke in when a Flint, Michigan radio DJ played it by mistake. It peaked at number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in June 1962, and it was the biggest hit of Cannon’s career.

According to Wikipedia, Barris wrote a song about an amusement park and it was suggested he use the name of an actual amusement park as the title. One night he was in Manhattan when he looked toward the New Jersey Palisades Cliffs, on which the amusement park sat. That was when inspiration hit and the title was added.

The song was an up-tempo rock and roll tune led by a distinctive organ part. The track also incorporates amusement park sound effects, including the sounds of screaming riders on the roller coasters. In the song, the singer takes a walk after dark and discovers Palisades Park, where he meets and falls in love with a girl. Among the list of rides and attractions listed in the song are: Shoot the Chute, Rocket Ship, Roller Coaster, Loop the Loop, Merry Go Round, Tunnel of Love, and the Ferris Wheel.

Here are the lyrics to “Palisades Park.”

Last night I took a walk after dark
A swinging place called Palisades Park
To have some fun and see what I could see
That’s where the girls are

I took a ride on a shoot the chute
That girl I sat beside was awful cute
And when we stopped
She was holding hands with me

My heart was flying up like a rocket ship
Down like a roller coaster
Fast like a loop the loop
And around like a merry-go-round

We ate and ate at a hot dog stand

When I fell in love down at Palisades Park

Down at Palisades Park
You know it’s Palisades Park
Down at Palisades Park

17 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Double P

1. newepicauthor January 3, 2021 / 7:01 am

I went to Palisades Park, it was awesome. I remember all my cousins went the same day. Nice choice Fandango.

• Fandango January 3, 2021 / 10:52 pm

Thanks Jim. I never managed to get there even though I was born in Jersey and lived there again from about 1978 through 1986.

• newepicauthor January 4, 2021 / 6:37 am

It was the best day that I ever spent with all of my cousins and we went on a lot of rides.

2. Marleen January 3, 2021 / 7:33 am

That’s a fun one I’ve not heard before. 🙂

• Marleen January 3, 2021 / 8:06 am

Got me thinking of “Postman” — except it’s not called that.

I found this:

Feel It Still – Portugal The Man (’60s “Mr. Postman” Style Cover) ft. Joey, Adanna, Nina Ann

• Marleen January 3, 2021 / 8:17 am

Portugal. The Man – Feel It Still (Live Stripped Down Session)

Can’t keep my hands to myself
        Think I’ll dust ’em off, put ’em back up on the shelf
        In case my little baby girl is in need
        Am I coming out of left field?

Ooh woo, I’m a rebel just for kicks, now
        I been feeling it since 1966, now
        Might be over now, but I feel it still
        Ooh woo, I’m a rebel just for kicks, now
        Let me kick it like it’s 1986, now
        Might be over now, but I feel it still

……….

3. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing January 3, 2021 / 8:35 am

Thanks for the share today. I hadn’t heard this one before but the music was so early 60s.USA. I always like the lyrics. These days they sound like another language ☺️

• Fandango January 3, 2021 / 10:56 pm

I get a kick out of listening to those late 50s, early 60s top 40 songs.

4. Renard Moreau January 3, 2021 / 5:30 pm

🙂 Fandango, my friend. I am currently seeing, “This video is not available” from my end.