Share Your World — Goodbye 2020

Share Your WorldIt’s the last Monday of 2020 (yay!) and it’s also Melanie’s last Share Your World of 2020. Let’s see what she wants us to share.

Pick three words to describe this past year. (Please keep them PG. Thanks.)

Sucky, frustrating, and depressing.

What were the best books you read this year?Or the best movie you saw?

All of the books I read this year were re-reads of books I’d read previously. And all of the movies I saw this year were movies I watched on TV, although when it came down to what we watched on TV, we binge-watched more shows than movies.

Because there was lots of time for looking inward, what is one big personal lesson you learned this past year?

I learned that I miss eating at restaurants more than I thought I would. We moved to a new town in February and we were looking forward to dining at some of the great local restaurants, but within a month of moving to our new town, the quarantine started, and a number of the restaurants we were looking forward to eating at have since closed.

Do you think Covid has strengthened or weakened societal bonds?

I think Donald Trump has so divided and politicized the United States that most societal bonds have suffered. Even taking the pandemic the seriously, maintaining social distancing and wearing face masks have been politicized. The societal and political chasm between the left and the right got even deeper and wider in 2020.

What is a New Year’s wish you’d like to share with the world?

I wish that people would stop focusing on what makes us different and start focusing on all that we have in common.

18 thoughts on “Share Your World — Goodbye 2020

1. Melanie B Cee December 28, 2020 / 12:09 pm

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World! Great points you make, all of them. I haven’t heard one person so far write that they would extend 2020 even by one day. We’re all very glad to see it gone. Personally, I’m VERY GLAD to see the back of ol’ Pumpkin Boy. It’s a miracle in a way! Woo hoo! Have a great New Year’s !

• Fandango December 28, 2020 / 10:48 pm

Maybe we’ll be able to dine in restaurants again in the not-too-distant future.

2. Marleen December 28, 2020 / 2:28 pm

This year: Blowout bonanza for rich people (corporations especially and not really so much for small businesses and workers or employees and essential work); confirmation of favoritism for those with the most power (including the fact Trump and fellows got moneys due to the crisis excuse); confirmation of dismissal for those without great power and money.

We get to find out, in early January, if the general public of Georgia endorses the way this year has gone or would rather see what happens if those who claim to care about the people don’t have the excuse of Republican impediment. I hope Georgians vote for the public, people (not corporations as the most important “people” ala Citizens United decision fallout).

• Fandango December 28, 2020 / 10:49 pm

I hope Georgians do so as well.

3. Sadje December 28, 2020 / 6:41 pm

I miss eating out too, specially with friends. It used to be our crazy time!
    I think your new year wishes are spot on.

• Fandango December 28, 2020 / 11:00 pm

Thanks, Sadje. And hopefully we’ll all be able to eat at restaurants again soon.

• Sadje December 29, 2020 / 12:32 am

I hope so too. Over here we can sit outside and enjoy the food, but it’s too cold for that.

4. Carol anne December 30, 2020 / 12:50 am

Awesome answers Fandango! Your new years wish especially resonated with me! 💙💜💜

5. leigha66 January 1, 2021 / 11:14 am

I agree that Trump has done more to divide us with each twist he is a part of.