Weekend Writing Prompt — Troglodyte

“Dad, you’re such a luddite,” Stephanie said. “You’re still using a flip phone for your cellphone, your only computer is a TRS-80 from Radio Shack, you still have a fax machine and a VCR. Your television is a tube TV, and your record collection is made up of old 45s.”

“Hey, I am not a luddite,” Henry said. “I embrace technology. My typewriter is an electric one. Now excuse me while I go to my man cave and play Pac-Man on my Atari.”

“You’re not a luddide, Dad. You’re a troglodyte,” Stephanie said.

(95 words)

Written for the Weekend Writing Prompt from Sammi Cox, where the word is “troglodyte.”

18 thoughts on “Weekend Writing Prompt — Troglodyte

1. Renard Moreau December 26, 2020 / 2:52 pm

🙂 Fandango, we need to fall back on the low-tech devices when our modern-day high-tech devices are experiencing technical difficulties.

2. Marleen December 26, 2020 / 4:13 pm

I’m a fan of keeping old phone lines for, both, ordinary phone service and FAX service. Very much a fan. I also wonder if it’s a good idea to keep an old television around that functions with an antenna (and I do have one — a small one that also will run a VHS tape).

• Fandango December 26, 2020 / 11:23 pm

I have no land line, no fax machine, no tube TV, and no VCR. But I do have a bunch of VHS tapes in a box in the garage.

• Marleen December 27, 2020 / 3:31 am

The tube tv I have can be carried in one hand or one arm. I don’t think it’s out of the question that our highfalutin media services will (or could) fail us at some point. I also have a radio-flashlight combo that can be charged by a hand crank.

3. jilldennison December 27, 2020 / 11:41 am

The youth of today will be in a world of hurt if someday they have to live in a world with no electricity! That old manual typewriter they mock today will still work, even by candlelight! 😉

• Fandango December 27, 2020 / 10:23 pm

All some adversarial country has to do is to hack, attack, or disable our electrical and communications systems and we’ll be in a world of hurt.

• jilldennison December 27, 2020 / 11:19 pm

Yep. Have you read “One Second After” by William Forstchen? A chilling book about EMPs that can disable a nation’s electrical grid. After reading, I did some research, and Russia has had the ability to knock out our power for years … just hasn’t chosen to use it yet. You should read that book … makes you realize just how reliant we are on electrical power.

• Fandango December 27, 2020 / 11:23 pm

I haven’t but I will look into it. Thanks fir the recommendation.

• Fandango December 28, 2020 / 10:52 pm

Thank you so much. It’s always a fun challenge when there is an interesting word prompt and a limited number of words to exploit it.

4. Keith's Ramblings December 29, 2020 / 3:36 am

My landline phone rang the other day and I missed the call because I couldn’t remember which button to press! Now, where’s my cassette player?