Fandango’s Flashback Friday — December 25

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 25th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on my blog on December 25, 2018.

Christmas Miracle

As my wife and I were on our way home from walking our dog this Christmas morning, we passed our local convenience store. They sell Mega Millions lottery tickets there. The sign in the store window showed that the Mega Millions jackpot is up to $321 million and the next drawing is tonight.

I don’t usually buy lottery tickets. As a retire on a fixed income, and with my 401(k) retirement savings account haven taken a big hit over the past few weeks, buying lottery tickets is a frivolous expense with almost impossible odds of hitting the jackpot.

But when I saw the Mega Millions sign in the window, I said to my wife, “I’m going to splurge on five ‘quick pick’ tickets. After all, today is Christmas Day. Maybe we’ll experience a Christmas miracle, and one of my picks will be the big winner.”

So I walked into the convenience store, plunked $10 on the counter, and bought my five Mega Million picks. (And for another $5.00, a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream for later).

I promise that should I win tonight’s Mega Million jackpot, I will start believing in Santa Claus again. Hell, I will even commit to believing in God. Because if I do win, that has to be a sign from above.

Do you hear me, God?

15 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flashback Friday — December 25

1. odell01 December 25, 2020 / 3:37 am

As today is a holiday, I felt I would join your Flashback Friday. Christmas five years ago, in 2015, I blogged about a YA writer, Hayley Morgan, who I knew a little, from the Internet. She was simultaneously working on her first novel, and, as what I presume was an exercise, maintaining a webpage named “Fiction Crowd,” for which she took volunteer submissions.

I contributed to it. I think there were only three editions, but it was fun. We haven’t exactly stayed in touch, but I still follow her, on Twitter.

https://findingenvirons1.blog/2015/12/25/generous-genies-on-helly-morrigan-dyingischeaper/ The link in my post to the personal page of hers no longer works, but you can see that I did appreciate finding her online.

Hayley found representation for herself as a writer. Merry Christmas, Fandango.

2. Mister Bump UK December 25, 2020 / 3:40 am

I think I might be able to guess the result. I’ll try to get to post one of these, I did a draft of one the other day so I’ll see how I feel once I’ve caught up reading everything.

• Fandango December 25, 2020 / 11:17 pm

Yes, I did eat the ice cream but no Christmas lottery miracle.

3. Marleen December 29, 2020 / 12:59 pm

https://www.usdakotawar.org/history/aftermath/trials-hanging [The Day Before]

Because these were military trials, the executions had to be ordered by the President Abraham Lincoln.

Three hundred and three deaths seemed too genocidal for President Lincoln. But he didn’t order retrials, even though it has been argued that the trials which took place were a legal sham. Instead he simply modified the criteria of what charges warranted a death sentence. Under his new criteria, only 2 of the Dakota warriors were sentenced to die. That small number seemed too lenient, and President Lincoln was concerned about an uprising by his white American settlers …

• Marleen December 29, 2020 / 1:17 pm

“The trials of the Dakota were conducted unfairly in a variety of ways. The evidence was sparse, the tribunal was biased, the defendants were unrepresented in unfamiliar proceedings conducted in a foreign language, and authority for convening the tribunal was lacking. More fundamentally, neither the Military Commission nor the reviewing authorities recognized that they were dealing with the aftermath of a war fought with a sovereign nation and that the men who surrendered were entitled to treatment in accordance with that status.”

Carol Chomsky, Associate Professor, University of Minnesota Law School

• Marleen December 29, 2020 / 1:38 pm

On the day after Christmas, on Dec. 26, 1862, 38 Dakota men were hanged in the largest mass-hanging in U.S. history. … In a separate historic order, Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, which granted his administration to free the slaves, went into effect six days later on Jan. 1, 1863.

That will correspond to this coming Friday.

I messed up on what link to include in my 12:59pm (first) post (on this topic). It should be this one, from Native News Online, instead — while the link I gave is the correct one for my 1:17pm post.

4. leigha66 December 31, 2020 / 2:18 am

What better way to either celebrate your victory or drown your sorrows than by eating a pint of ice cream!