Share Your World — A Mixed Bag

Share Your WorldFor this week’s Share Your World, Melanie asks a mixed bag of questions about favorites. And here are her questions and my answers:

What is your favorite type of cookie (they’re called biscuits in Europe I believe)?

I’m partial to oatmeal raisin cookies, particularly when they are soft and are warm from the oven.

If you could choose one age and remain that forever, what would it be and why?

Oh, I’d say 29. Why? Well, I was still single, had a relatively decent job, drove a cool car (a silver/blue Austin-Healey 3000 Mk III), and was quite the stud at the time.

Do you have a traditional drink during the holiday season?

I’m not a big drinker of alcoholic beverages (except for beer), and I don’t have a particular holiday drink that I favor.

Are you able to still believe in holiday magic as you did when you were a child?

No, because I’m no longer a child. I grew out of “holiday magic” once I became a practical, pragmatic adult.

That said, I want to wish each and every one of you, my fellow bloggers, happy holidays. And if you still believe in holiday magic, I hope your holidays are, indeed, magical.

18 thoughts on “Share Your World — A Mixed Bag

• Marleen December 23, 2020 / 2:10 pm

My favorite cookies used to be what my dad called nut-balls (I think they are also called Mexican wedding cookies while he didn’t know that). [This never sounded funny when I was little. But we have had a laugh about at a later point.] And he made them in winter — but, less often, Hungarian butter-horns, too.* Both are covered with powdered sugar and involve nuts. I hardly ever have cookies now. But I still have egg nog with rum. That’s from him as well.

*His mother’s side of the family came from an area of Europe that was sometimes Romania and sometimes Hungary (Romania is on her birth certificate). His dad’s side was Czech. There was more of a warmth to him than to my mother, who was English and Scottish. However, I picked up some baking habits from my mother’s mother; particularly pies. My mother made cakes, as I have too. I tried my hand at a streusel, once.

I, too, like oatmeal-raisin cookies. Peanut butter cookies. And more. I taught my sons how to bake and cook. But I hardly do it myself anymore.

• Marleen December 24, 2020 / 12:56 pm

I was talking to my one still-living aunt on my dad’s side, recently, which is how I found out the area where her mother came from had not only been Romania (the part I knew) but sometimes Hungary. I brought up a man who has written books I’ve read… someone from Romania who experienced living under both the Nazis and the Soviets. He is Richard Wurmbrandt. He was Jewish (in background) but also Lutheran by his own choice. After I mentioned him, I realized I might’ve stepped in something. I went to Lutheran schools [which is not how I found out about him], so I have positive associations about that. My aunt is Catholic… and, oh dear. I forgot there is a “cardinal” known for being anti-commie* but in the sense of pushing the Republican vote and being pro Trump. I wasn’t in a confronting mood, nor was she. But she said things like, “We Americans fought wars so we wouldn’t have to live with things like this.” I said, more than once, “That’s right. Yep.” Then we both paused. We agreed to the same words but were entirely not in agreement. Trump and Republicans didn’t come up, but we knew.

*He himself has not written on the topic. His name is being used as far as I know.

1. Carol anne December 21, 2020 / 4:34 pm

And the same to you fandango! Happy holidays, whatever you end up doing, I hope you enjoy it! 😙🌲🌹

• Fandango December 21, 2020 / 10:21 pm

Ha! Thanks. Well “was” is the operative word! 😂

• Marleen December 22, 2020 / 9:01 am

In something like 2003 (rough guess), I wanted a small convertible in basically that color. Not a classic, a new car. I didn’t get it.

• Marleen December 22, 2020 / 1:04 pm

… oh (btw)… I don’t mean as a holiday gift. I had thought about buying one, but didn’t do it.

I stuck with the somewhat sporty car I already had (switched to) with a great stereo system.

2. SadiRose December 22, 2020 / 3:49 am

Happy Holidays to you as well. I absolutely LOVE the Austin Healey,

3. Marleen December 22, 2020 / 8:50 am

One of my sons dropped by, yesterday, and we celebrated the end of days getting shorter…. the beginning of winter. We also looked, a little bit, at Saturn and Jupiter overlapping. Enjoy everything you can.

4. Melanie B Cee December 22, 2020 / 9:54 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World and some favorites! My favorite cookie (at any time of the year) is the humble oatmeal raisin, but I’ve never had a fresh from the oven warm one. I’ll have to make some for myself I suppose! The car was ‘cool’, I always thought those looked very sleek and wicked fast! They are a ‘young person’s’ car though, far too low to the ground and small for old gimpies like me to even sit in them these days! I suspect you were a stud. 😉 I hope your holiday celebrations in your new home and near to your family, are warm and welcoming! Happy Solstice Fandango! Go view the stars and planets, they remind us of our place in this big Universe!

5. J-Dub December 22, 2020 / 3:22 pm

Warm oatmeal raisin out of the oven … drool – My fave!!

6. leigha66 December 28, 2020 / 12:04 am

I enjoy a nice oatmeal raisin cookie, but no one else in the family does so I very rarely get any. That was a very nice car you had. I would only go back to a certain age IF I could know then what I know now. Good answers!