#WDYS — The Set Designer

“What the hell, people?” Arthur screamed at his staff. “I’m an Oscar-winning set designer, for crissake. This movie is supposed to be a period piece set in the 1950s. What is this radio doing on the set?”

“But Arthur,” one of Arthur’s young assistants said, “that radio has the look and feel of radios from the Fifties. It’s quite authentic.”

“And you know that how, Ryan?” Arthur snapped back. “You were born in the Nineties. You wouldn’t know a 1950s authentic radio if it bit you on your stupid ass.”

“I Googled 1950s radios and this radio looks like a lot of the images I saw,” Ryan defensively said.

Arthur reach over and grabbed the radio off of the table and thrust it in front of Ryan’s face. “What do you see?” he screamed.

Ryan carefully read the words at the bottom of the radio dial. “Um, you mean where it says it’s an MP3 player?”

“Yes,” Arthur said. “That and the fact that above the dial there’s USB port and a slot for an SD card. None of that technology existed in the 1950s, you imbecile. I don’t want a replica. I don’t want something designed to look like a 1950s radio. I want a goddam authentic 1950s radio. Do you understand?”

“But sir,” Ryan said, “this radio will be on a table in the background. No one will see any of that detail.”

Arthur forcefully threw the radio onto the floor, smashing it to pieces. “I won a fucking Academy Award, you idiot,” he said, practically frothing at the mouth. “Attention to detail is my calling card. My professional reputation is on the line. I will not stand for bogus crap like this. Now you go out and get me an authentic 1950s-era radio or don’t bother coming back at all.”

“Yes sir, right away sir,” Ryan said as he ran from the movie set.

Written for the What Do You See? Prompt from Sadje at Keep It Alive. Photo credit: Shche- Team @ Unsplash.

17 thoughts on “#WDYS — The Set Designer

1. bushboy December 18, 2020 / 3:50 pm

Yep, get out Ryan 🙂 details matter….I would have picked that a mile away 😀 😀

2. Marleen December 18, 2020 / 4:56 pm

Sounds like an echo of Tom Cruz but on a different topic.

• Fandango December 18, 2020 / 9:57 pm

Tom Cruise really did go a bit ballistic, didn’t he. But I kinda don’t blame him.

3. relaxitsallwrite December 18, 2020 / 5:51 pm

All the details on the “radio” I didn’t notice at first glance! I would be pissed too

4. Sadje December 18, 2020 / 7:22 pm

Kudos to your set director and YOU too. I didn’t notice the writing on the radio. Thanks for joining in with this very observant take.

5. Taswegian1957 December 19, 2020 / 1:27 am

That sort of era would be noticed and appear on many websites for years to come in lists of movie mistakes.
    Just the same I would not like to work for someone with a temper like Arthur.

6. Ramblingswithusha December 21, 2020 / 2:15 am

Observant. Going back to look at the pic.

7. leigha66 December 26, 2020 / 4:44 pm

We got a replica stereo as an early Christmas gift to ourselves and it has CD and an aux port on the front… even I know enough about props to know that is shouldn’t be in a 50s movie. Very good story, even if Arthur did go a little over the top.