TMP — Bad News

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. Actually, I was pretty stoked today because I really wasn’t pissed off about anything, so I was going to skip today’s Monday Peeve.

This afternoon I saw that WordPress had just come out with a new update to its iOS app for the iPhone, version 16.3, and I got very excited. Why? Well, because I had been advised a few weeks back by one of the Happiness Engineers, that version 16.0 of the WordPress app, which was released in early November, included a fix to a different feature that, “unfortunately, had a side effect that would cause the in-app browser to be logged out for certain sites.” Talk about adverse side effects! Anyway, I first posted about this so called side effect here.

On December 1st, a Happiness Engineer notified me that “once we learned about the problem we put together a fix, which is still being tested, but if all is well, should be coming in version 16.3.”

Oh goodie. The fix is finally here! So I uploaded version 16.3 of the iOS app to my iPhone and gave it a shot. I tried to visit a post from my reader that didn’t have “.wordpess” in its address and to like the post. No deal. I tried to comment on the post. No deal.

So I wrote to the Happiness Engineer who told me they expected the bug to be fixed in version 16.3. I wrote…

I just updated my WordPress iOS app to version 16.3 and I am extremely disappointed that the issue we have discussed remains unresolved. In your comment you said that your team was working on a fix and that you thought that it would be addressed when version 16.3 was released. Sadly, that’s not the case.

So it’s Monday and I’m peeved. I’m pissed. I’m vexed. I’m angry. Hence, my Monday Peeve.

25 thoughts on “TMP — Bad News

1. Paula Light December 14, 2020 / 4:30 pm

I just clicked on your link to like and comment on this post and WP WOULD NOT LET ME!!! 😱

The app is still okay…

• Fandango December 14, 2020 / 9:48 pm

Yeah, I know. Maybe they’re saving it up as a Christmas present.

2. Goin' the extra...aaamile December 14, 2020 / 7:35 pm

Talking of bad news: my blog was hacked.
    Well! Who would want to hack a blogging site, especially when it isn’t monetized and they’d be getting no benefit out of it?
    I’ll probably email you Fandango, need some suggestions/guidance probably

• Fandango December 14, 2020 / 9:51 pm

I actually tried to link to your blog today and saw that it was hacked. Bummer.

3. Sadje December 14, 2020 / 7:43 pm

I don’t think they are fixing this other glitches on WP.

4. Mister Bump UK December 14, 2020 / 10:42 pm

Just so you know, there are a few blogs where I seem to always have to log out and back in again before leaving a comment. On a PC. I had put that down to these blogs maybe being hosted on different servers, but WP assured me that everything was under one roof, so I don’t know.
    Off the top of my head, the people whose blogs I have trouble with are Melanie, Sadje and David at a blog called Ben Alexander. It is not too onerous but it does make me think twice before leaving a comment, and I’d be as mad as you if it happened all the time. I can like no problem.

• Fandango December 14, 2020 / 11:07 pm

I don’t about David’s blog, but both Melanie’s blog and Sadje’s blog do not use “.WordPress.com” in the address. But neither does my blog and you don’t seem to have any issues commenting on my posts, so I don’t know what to say.

• Mister Bump UK December 14, 2020 / 11:12 pm

I wonder what is different between their set ups and mine that I need to re-authenticate?

• Fandango December 14, 2020 / 11:19 pm

I don’t know, but I can’t like or comment on posts that I visit from my reader or from my notifications if they don’t have .wordpress.com in the URL. I can like and comment on them in reader mode, but not when, in the reader, I click on “visit.” The problem with reader mode, though, is that the post is essentially unformatted. I prefer going to the actual blog site, but that where I run into problems UNLESS the blog’s address has .wordpress.com in it. Then it’s fine.

• Mister Bump UK December 14, 2020 / 11:43 pm

It implies to me that they run some blogs from different servers. They say not, but just on volume alone, you’d expect them to. Bear in mind, they’ll be telling you enough to get off their case, not necessarily the truth.

• Marleen December 16, 2020 / 10:58 am

Ding, ding 🛎.

• Fandango December 15, 2020 / 9:05 am

I don’t know. I think they can’t figure out how to fix it.

5. Carol anne December 15, 2020 / 4:33 pm

well damn it anyway! wp just sucks sometimes. I am sorry the update didnt include a fix for the problem!

6. Marleen December 15, 2020 / 8:42 pm

I said (a few days ago), under another blog topic here that included discussion of tech within the comments for a short bit, that we might be screwed as a culture. Because of so much of a need for capable computer awareness with vigilance. And the apparent lack of its actual supply.

On MSNBC’s “Deadline: White House” (this evening), there was a segment starting from about the top of the hostesses second hour (forty seconds into that second hour) of the episode, after a commercial break, beginning with a Romney audio clip from “The Axe Files” | November 19th after the Chris Krebs firing, then some reporting from The Washington Post:
    DHS… [and others] join list of federal agencies — now five — hacked in major Russian cyberespionage campaign, by Ellen Nakashima and Craig Timberg. The part of the full segment I found most interesting was from that start through about seven minutes, which involved the first of three guests… Politico CyberSecurity Reporter Eric Geller, who wrote an article titled ‘Massively disruptive’ cyber crisis engulfs multiple agencies. He said it was a vendor called Solarwinds that was neglectful enough to offer updates/an update that has adversely affected thousands of people.

During a later show, it was further shared that The New York Times says it went far beyond the five agencies, to the CDC and the Pentagon and more. (Not to mention 425 of the Fortune Five-hundred.) Guest, to “All In with Chris Hayes” on the same network, Nicole Perlroth, said Fire Eye (a better and more established security company) figured out the problem. Nicole had a whole lot more to say.

Reuters has published a security researcher’s information that he warned Solarwinds, previously (last year), of their weakness (“substandard security”) involving a password of “solarwind123” (yeah) which allowed anyone to access the update files. Which Russia did, this year.

• Fandango December 15, 2020 / 10:52 pm

It’s scary and frustrating that Russia can so easily do this to our critical government computer systems.

• Marleen December 16, 2020 / 8:32 am

It sure is. Plus, I don’t think it’s possible for there to be enough people or vendors who well know how to keep programming and security (and everything else tech-related) going, up to a reasonable level, to go around. On top of that, how do the people who aren’t computer experts know who to hire as truly competent experts (from a finite pool of availability)? We are in bad shape, or screwed, in the big picture. A further thought, however, is that the company/vendor that had messed up had switched from some other kind of computer servicing to security only two years ago. And this fact (among others we’ve seen) disproves what rightward-shifting politicians have foisted on the public for decades, the magical idea that privatizing is better because business has to perform to not go under. I wonder whether the businesses followed the government or the government agencies followed the businesses — or if they’re essentially the same bunch of people — into trusting the newly-branded supposed security provider. (It’s theoretically possible, too, that no one followed any other as if by reference… but that each client individually fell for the sales pitch.) In either/any case, neither realm was smarter or better at doing what they needed to or should have done.

• Marleen December 16, 2020 / 10:43 am

DECEMBER 15, 20208:08 PM UPDATED 16 HOURS AGO
      Hackers used SolarWinds’ dominance against it in sprawling spy campaign
      By Raphael Satter, Christopher Bing, Joseph Menn

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – On an earnings call two months ago, SolarWinds Chief Executive Kevin Thompson touted how far the company had gone during his 11 years at the helm.

………………..

Neither the password nor the stolen access is considered the most likely source of the current intrusion, researchers said.

Others – including Kyle Hanslovan, the cofounder of Maryland-based cybersecurity company Huntress – noticed that, days after SolarWinds realized their software had been compromised, the malicious updates were still available for download.

The firm has long mooted the idea of spin-off of its managed service provider business and on Dec. 9 announced that Thompson would be replaced by Sudhakar Ramakrishna, the former chief executive of Pulse Secure. Three weeks ago, SolarWinds posted a job ad seeking a new vice president for security; the position is still listed as open.

Thompson and Ramakrishna could not be reached for comment.