Friday Fictioneers — Youth

Harold sat at the picnic table at Coney Island looking over at the old Steeplechase ride. He flashed back to his youth when he would spend his summer days riding that roller coaster. But he had to face the fact that his youth was gone and, between his vertigo and his bad back, he could no longer enjoy rides like that anymore.

He noticed the Nathan’s sign and remembered those classic hot dogs and fries. Oh how he craved them. But not anymore. Not with his acid reflux.

It’s a shame, Harold thought, that youth is wasted on the young.

(100 words)

Written for Friday Fictioneers from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Roger Bultot.

24 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Youth

1. newepicauthor December 11, 2020 / 1:21 pm

He could always get a hot dog at Coney Island even if he is too old for the rides.

2. theministryofshrawleywalks December 11, 2020 / 2:38 pm

Poor Harold, my wife has just discovered the dizziness of vertigo, we’re moving house, I’m hoping it’ll go after! Good tale, punchy ending.

• Fandango December 11, 2020 / 3:27 pm

Thanks.

I’ve got vertigo and I know how disconcerting and even disabling it can be.

• theministryofshrawleywalks December 11, 2020 / 4:50 pm

It seems a nightmare, just came in overnight it seems. She’s taking tablets and I think it’s better but not a good thing to have

• Marleen December 12, 2020 / 10:51 am

I had a bit of that almost ten years ago, got over it about five years ago. I’m so glad. I found it depressing. One of the most disabling aspects is that I became very afraid of driving over certain bridges. Some still make me hyper-alert, but I’m way better. It amazed me when I told people about it and many said they had the same problem (people much younger than myself)! They took pills for it. I filled one prescription for it, but I wasn’t impressed. My spacial logic isn’t the same as it used to be (which bothers me), but I’m not outright dizzy.

3. Iain Kelly December 11, 2020 / 3:10 pm

It really is wasted on them, they haven’t a clue. I wish I knew then what I know now.

• Fandango December 11, 2020 / 3:25 pm

I’m sure each of has had that exact same thought at one time or another.

4. U-man society March 25, 2021 / 3:04 am

This actually made me reflect n how I’m spending my youth days, always working always wanting more success. It seems the most thing I will miss later is just and simply being young!