Fandango’s Provocative Question #99

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

This week’s provocative question was suggested by Pete over at Mr. Bump, and it’s a goodie. Pete wants to know…

What do you think are the three most pressing issues facing us today?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

29 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #99

1. December 9, 2020 / 9:05 am

What’s the time limit on responding to this? I need to steep in your question for a little bit…

2. Marilyn Armstrong December 9, 2020 / 9:40 am

I’ll get more detailed about this, but basically? Environment, environment, and environment. It doesn’t mean there are NO other issues. There are plenty of other issues, but this is the one that if we fail to solve it, the other issues won’t matter.

3. Irene December 9, 2020 / 11:49 am

1) Global warming, 2) Faulty pandemic/health crisis response (from governments all the way down to individuals), 3) Humane and effective refugee policies.

• Marleen December 10, 2020 / 11:47 am

I touched on your first two, Melanie (and found your evaluations of the subjects of great interest), while I really identify with your third in the sense of not taking fertile ground for granted. (Even while I don’t think population is a problem — only ignorance and the sociopathy or psychopathy or greed leading to terrible decisions in use and treatment of the earth, and air and water and so forth.)

4. CARAMEL December 9, 2020 / 3:39 pm

The corrupt political system
    The corrupt economic system
    The corrupt religious system

– clean sweep, start uniting as a human family to look after the planet properly.

• Fandango December 9, 2020 / 4:14 pm

Political, economic, and religious. Yes, yes, and yes!

• CARAMEL December 19, 2020 / 2:15 pm

I think the scale of reform is really more about removal than patching up a crooked corrupt criminal system.

5. Marleen December 9, 2020 / 4:19 pm

You put a number in there. Now I have to think of what else to include. I was going to give one from me and (bonus) one from someone I was speaking with, last week, when this came up. So, that person’s top one was Covid-19. It’s HUGE, but I don’t think I’d put it in my top three.

However…
    there is an aspect of the situation that I would put in my top three. And this might just be a re-stating of what I was already going to say… which I’ll say later (3).

Here is how I see it. We don’t have a government that cares about the people. I don’t just mean Trump or the idiots who revolve around him, although I do include a now-seeming irrepressible pull to the “right” of which Trump is a garish symptom. [Second for the person I was in conversation with was Trump, by the way. And he didn’t have any others.] Even Democrats have gone to the right more and more, over the last few decades, but there was a big lurch with Bill Clinton. With more information recently, I have learned that Jimmy Carter as he spoke of austerity laid a red carpet for Reagan… whom I supported before I was of age to vote.

Brief — not-so-brief— note: When I was indoctrinated, concerning politics, we were told that there is no true point in designating right and left; both extremes* are totalitarianism. Thinking back on this, they were saying the only thing that is really bad is totalitarianism (and a few moralistic totems they let go of or return to rhetorically as expedient). And who knows if they really meant anything by this other than as a boogie man to snare certain kinds of people to go their way. (The Koch family has been hidden behind the scenes of “educational” nonprofits on the right for decades; before churches picked up the mantle too in any significant number, at least as far as I see it [but I am vaguely aware of fascist-type churches going back earlier in the century]. I may have been slightly sheltered in my youth from how evil large numbers of religious people, or people who perceive or present themselves to be righteous, can be. In fact, I couldn’t see the evil right in my own house [my mother] until it smacked me in the face a few times in my teens. Still, I thought she was an exception.) The idea could make some sense, but doesn’t because what they wanted to do was create shaky governance until we live in the kind of mess of a place that led to both fascism and communism before the ‘40s. In other words, they have reconstructed, on our grounds, what they wanted us to be averse enough against to think we were so avoiding. It is in the throes of the unrest leading to and involving the Nazis and the Soviets that the Koch family came into money (overseas). MONEY. Destroy our value in a working democracy of concern for citizens, and the most ruthless will have freer reign to plunder. How dare anyone not let them.

Not only has Trump looked stupid and either had no ability to foresee a path and steps to do the best we could to handle a pandemic. Alternatively, he has carried out Putin’s desires (and maybe those of Erdogan or the new crown prince of Saudi Arabia or whomever has him), and the war he perceived — and spoke about with regard to the infection — was upon us from within; and he actually did well from that perspective. Not only that, but the representatives and senators took the opportunity to widen the gap between the rich and the poor by throwing money at billionaires. They (the overwhelming majority even if not every single one) don’t seem to know how to, nor demonstrably want to, think through policies that will help the citizenry and a healthy culture (health in terms of not only some protection from a virus but health in terms of a functioning society that doesn’t treat those with less money as expendable). What our government is there to do, now, is protect and enrich the bubbles of privilege. All this time there has been copious talk of how we can’t care about people because money is scarce. Meanwhile, they shovel it.

{Certainly, this is not new to America. But I thought history, here, involved improvements.}

Anyway, I’m not very afraid of the virus itself. I feel I would probably kick its butt. [I actually think I’ve had it, while I couldn’t get tested. Two of my sons have had it.] But, beyond that, if I die, I die. Still, when there are sensible steps that can be taken to buy time and to get what we need because the thing is deadly (in addition to causing morbidities in many people), we should in fact do those things. Trump just whipped up a frenzy of mixed messaging and didn’t do some fairly easy things within his preview. So, Covid-19 is a debacle, but mostly due to failures of clarity in motivation and of thought. There is something lax “in the water” of our collective mind.

1) neoliberalism/neoconservatism (bad enough)
    [Even further right is a superbug that is losing all reason.]
    2) church (not a great term but shorthand) or salt (losing its savor)
    3) people who cast themselves as victims when they have the power in a situation or are obscenely rich or have done the wrong in a specific matter [This is ubiquitous. Is it straight up evil? Narcissism? Or fear in a world that doesn’t care? Why is it so prevalent? Have we nurtured a growing momentum for psychopathy? These people tend to complain about victims stating their woes or anyone trying to improve our general living conditions and attitudes for all.]

So, number three is what one I was going to give. But I may have ended up saying all of this stuff under that banner. I will add this: I hope that a lot of people have been fooled into following this path and will find their way(s) out… will wake up. Or maybe I wish.

I used Covid-19, and wealth distribution, here, as examples. We also can’t seem to make other good decisions, such as not trashing up our environment, because of the supposed need (for those so inclined) not to be stopped (oppressed in their view) from plundering.

* Now they are saying there is no point in differentiation between fascism and social awareness (beyond, precisely, communism… or the Soviets as a bad sample); both (historical ideologies), they now say, are “the left” (whereas right and left were taken out of the vocabulary for a lot of people so the words could be reformulated at will in ignorance after time). Therefore, it used to be that they could play on our knowledge that totalitarianism was destructive (in either or any direction). But now they have flipped the script and convinced far too many that caring or any left notions equal godlessness or totalitarianism (not only one form of or way to real rather than faux oppression, if taken too far or losing perspective, as the right can go too far into real oppression as well and is more likely to do so). They sometimes use the word totalitarianism (particularly when they want to give more plain old money and resources or deregulation to the richest above us), still, and often favor the slide to talking about spending too much money instead (but usually not when allocating to the increasingly monopolistic or already firmly established). And, for certain audiences or at certain times, they speak of evil outsiders — such as Muslims or foreign poor people — and protecting insiders (from the people who look different but not from internal actual exploiters). They’re very manipulative. And the general public is slow to catch up and see through it all. Meanwhile, the superbug is openly hostile to anti fascism. In other words, they lack internal logic in any semblance of good faith. It’s not enough to reject the superbug and cling to neoconservatism/neoliberalism. The hidden hand of capitalist “merit” doesn’t work, like magic, for good. We may be past the point of no return, having fallen for so long.

Alright. I hope that’s sufficiently understandable.

• Marleen December 11, 2020 / 12:31 pm

The notion of salt losing flavor originated from a verse in the Christian bible that mentions salt losing its savor, which was strictly a metaphor in a religious lesson and not advice on seasonings.

6. Carol anne December 20, 2020 / 6:07 pm

Ah great question Pete! To answer without writing my own post on the subject, I would say the 3 main issues facing us are: 1. Racism 2. Poverty and 3. Homelessness