Truthful Tuesday — Show Me the Money

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. This week Frank points out that many people resort to gift cards or cash because they have no idea what to actually buy the person they want to give a gift to. So he asks us:

When it comes to giving money, do you view it as a thoughtful gift, or as a sign that the giver didn’t care enough to think about a “real” gift?

My wife and I differ on this. She believes that cash and gift cards are impersonal and thoughtless. But my mantra is show me the money. I’d prefer someone giving me cash or a gift card rather than giving me something I don’t want, need, or won’t like. And, as the old saying goes, “Money talks and bullshit walks.”

So, yeah, I’m fine with both receiving and giving money as a gift.

Of course, if someone has shared with me something they really want or need and it fits within my gift budget, I’m fine with getting them that. As long as I can order it online and have it shipped to them.

8 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Show Me the Money

1. Taswegian1957 December 8, 2020 / 2:30 pm

I don’t mind being give money or gift cards as a gift and don’ t necessarily view it as lazy. Of course it is nice to receive a personal gift and nice when someone “gets” me enough to choose something I really like. Especially if the item is something that I would not buy for myself.
    On the other hand when giving gifts I get more pleasure from choosing a gift that will please the recipient than just giving cash or cards. I do that if I have no idea what the person would like but as I don’t have a lot of money to spend I feel that the small, but thoughtful gift reflects my feeling for the person more than a small amount of money.

2. Marleen December 8, 2020 / 2:43 pm

One of my sons recently asked me for a rabbit-fur-lined bomber hat. I said yes, while he ordered it and I reimbursed him. I have, previously, given money at times.

3. Sadje December 8, 2020 / 7:27 pm

I agree with you Fandango, unnecessary and expensive gift that are unusable or unwanted do no one any good.

4. faithfullyyours2017 December 8, 2020 / 10:27 pm

As for me I would like a gift…if the other person knows me well he/she will take the trouble to buy me something that I like.

5. leigha66 December 15, 2020 / 11:31 pm

Money and gift cards are fine in my book. I like getting them and giving them. They are never the wrong size, color or shape… Especially like restaurant and gas station gift cards, something everyone needs.

6. Carol anne December 20, 2020 / 6:13 pm

I agree. I love getting money! At least you can get what you want with it! And gift cards are awesome too!