MLMM Photo Challenge — The Diagnosis

Carla was nervous. In her 19 years of existence she had never had an x-ray before, so when her doctor told her that, for diagnostic purposes, he wanted to get an x-ray, it sort of freaked her out.

“I want the x-ray just to rule out anything serious,” the doctor explained to her. “It will be painless and it will be over before you know it. All you need to do is stay perfectly still for a few seconds.”

“I guess I can do that, Dr. Hill,” Carla said. “I’m willing to do whatever you think is best if it will help you to figure out what is causing these strange sensations in my belly.”

With that, the doctor led Carla to a small room and had her stand in front of an intimidating looking machine. “You’ll hear a low humming sound for a second, Carla,” Dr. Hill said. “Remember to be perfectly still until I tell you it’s okay to move.”

It was all over within a few seconds and the procedure was, as Dr. Hill had promised, painless. “Go on back to the other room, Carla,” he said. “I’m going to take a quick look at the x-ray and then I’ll come in and let you know what, if anything, I see.”

Carla sat down in the examination room and anxiously waited for Dr. Hill to join her. When he finally walked back in, Carla asked him what the x-ray showed and if what she had was curable.

“Actually, Carla, your condition is not uncommon for a young woman your age,” he told her.

“What is it doctor?” she asked. “Can you give me something to help?”

“Well, Carla, there really are no drugs you can take for this condition,” he said. “And it’s something that you’re going to have to learn to manage.”

“Oh Dr. Hill,” Carla said, “is it really that serious? What’s the condition called?”

“Yes, Carla, it can be serious,” Dr. Hill said. “Here, Let me show you.” He tapped the keys on his computer’s keyboard and her x-ray appeared on the large computer screen.

Carla gasped when she saw it. “Oh my God, doctor, are those butterflies in my stomach?”“That’s correct, Carla,” Dr. Hill said. “You’re suffering from a severe case of first love, but the good news is that it’s almost never fatal and you’ll eventually get over it.”

Written for the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Photo Challenge. Photo credit: WeHeartIt.com.

24 thoughts on “MLMM Photo Challenge — The Diagnosis

1. Mason Bushell December 8, 2020 / 3:05 am

That’s a really good story for the picture very well done. Carla did well too. I had at least 60 x-rays before I was 19!

• Mason Bushell December 9, 2020 / 2:22 am

Most of the x-rays were for a broken arm. It had a cyst on it and took most of a year to heal. I was getting 4 x-rays every two weeks for that you see.

• Mason Bushell December 9, 2020 / 11:22 am

Eh, it was a good excuse not to do physical education. I always hated running lol

• Marleen December 9, 2020 / 6:48 pm

Whew. It could’ve been all kinds of things. This ain’t too bad.

• Mason Bushell December 10, 2020 / 2:32 am

No, it wasn’t so bad. Hurt like hell the first few days, then it was just an inconvenience really. Still I can write with both hands and use scissors in both hands and such as a result.

• Marleen December 12, 2020 / 2:53 pm

Cool!

2. bushboy December 8, 2020 / 3:07 am

Unknown to Dr Hill, he was the cause of Carla’s butterflies.
    “One day my pretties, Dr Hill will be ours” Carla thought.

3. Sadje December 8, 2020 / 3:40 am

Ha! My initial thoughts were the same. Well done

4. newepicauthor December 8, 2020 / 10:47 am

I had no idea that you could be affected by a severe case of first love that way. I hope it isn’t fatal.

5. leigha66 December 15, 2020 / 11:02 pm

I had all sorts of other thoughts until I saw the picture. This, I think she will survive. Great story!