Share Your World — Winter Wonderland

Share Your WorldFor this week’s edition of Share Your World from Melanie at Sparks From a Combustible Mind, we are asked the following questions.

Do you enjoy skiing or ice skating or, if it’s warm where you are, hiking or enjoying outdoor sports?

Back in my prime, I used to really enjoy downhill skiing and did it nearly every winter. I was never very good at ice skating but I was a decent roller skater. I also used to be into hiking. But now, as I’ve reached my so-called “golden years,” I no longer ski and my hiking is generally limited to long walks around the neighborhood.

Do you give to charities, or to homeless that you might encounter, during this time of year, more than you do otherwise?

I have a few selected charities that I give to each year, but it’s not necessarily tied to this time of the year. As to the homeless, I used to give them some money when I lived in the “big city,” but now that I live in the burbs, I rarely come across homeless people. Of course, the fact that we’re still under stay-at-home orders would make it tough, even were we still living in the “big city,” to give to the homeless this year.

What is the most enjoyable activity you engage in during December? Is it a tradition for you and your family?

In the past we have typically had holiday family gatherings, which are always fun. We would get together for Chanukah, for Christmas (yes, we are a mixed family of Christians, Jews, and atheists), and we would have “game night” for New Year’s Eve. Unfortunately, none of that will be happening this year.

What changes will C-19 bring to your festive celebrations this year?

As I noted above, none of our traditional family holiday gatherings, as discussed above, will be happening this year due to COVID-19.

Please share a good will wish for the world!

I wish for all of you to wear your face masks, maintain social distancing, and stay safe for the remainder of this year and for all of 2021. Happy Holidays, whatever holidays you’re celebrating.

14 thoughts on “Share Your World — Winter Wonderland

• Fandango December 7, 2020 / 3:05 pm

No, I never mastered the skateboard. Just roller skates. I couldn’t really master in-line skates (rollerblades).

• newepicauthor December 7, 2020 / 3:08 pm

I bought rollerblades also, along with the knee pads and the elbow pads and the helmet, but I never got the hang of that either.

1. amoralegria December 7, 2020 / 5:50 pm

Great answers! My family also celebrates both Hanukkah and Christmas. It starts this Thursday night, so we’ve got our menorah and candles ready! I usually say the prayers – my husband, while a Jew insisting upon this celebration, is an atheist and doesn’t care about the prayers. He just feels compelled to assert himself as a Jew at this time of year when he’s surrounded by Christmas everywhere – it’s unescapable! We have an electric menorah in the window, ready to turn on starting on Thursday. I think he might be the only Jew living in this senior community dominated by Presbyterians, but perhaps not. We also have game night on New Year’s Eve. We probably will have it with my sister and brother-in-law who also live here. If not, we can at least play Categories or Charades on Zoom!!

• Fandango December 7, 2020 / 10:15 pm

Here’s to a Happy Chanukah (or Hanukkah), to a Merry Christmas, and to a Happy Game Night New Year’s Eve.

2. Melanie B Cee December 8, 2020 / 10:17 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World! I loved to roller skate (traditional skates, no in-line ones for me!) in my youth. I tried doing it as a young woman too (there was a park one could skate around (it was a good mile or more in circumference), but discovered it was far too painful. I did love to walk that park with my dogs though. It’s safer this year to donate on line or virtually and many places don’t even have the Salvation bell ringers out this year (at least not up here). It sounds as if your family is very closely knit in normal circumstances; I guess the virus has put paid to much of that this year. Thanks for the good wishes for the holidays, and the same to you and yours!

3. Marleen December 8, 2020 / 11:24 am

I give to different charities each year, other than the fact Goodwill is included every year. One I gave to, this year, which I wouldn’t have thought of without a request from my cousin’s spouse, was PetPeacOfMind.org in honor of Debra’s passing and her next, would-v-been birthday.

Two of my sons (I don’t know about it if any of the others have done likewise) have given to homeless people directly; just individual men hanging around (it might be different with a mom and kids living in a car). The men began causing problems. Each son had to chase them off.

• Marleen December 8, 2020 / 11:25 am

There is an “e” at the end of peace.

• Marleen December 8, 2020 / 4:35 pm

I wish for everyone to remember how to spell peace, in their own language or more. And the meaning.

4. Marleen December 8, 2020 / 4:40 pm

I have enjoyed skiing and ice skating, ice skating… very much. I don’t think I care about doing either ever again. I tried snowboarding, only once.

I will still hike.

5. leigha66 December 14, 2020 / 11:06 pm

I went snow skiing once when I was young… the tow rope about jerked my arms out of the socket and I refused to go back. I did roller skate though, not real good, but it was fun.

6. Carol anne December 20, 2020 / 6:25 pm

Great answers to the SYW questions! You also stay safe, and enjoy the season even if your plans have been canceled!