SoCS — The List Maker

For this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt from Linda G. Hill, we are asked about lists. She asks us to make or talk about a list.

I’ve always been a natural list maker. And I’ve found that, as I’ve gotten older, list making has become even more important than ever, because my memory is not as good as it once was. I make grocery lists, to-do lists, lists of shows or movies I may want to watch on TV or books I may want to download onto my iPhone.

And, because my cursive has evolved to the point that even I can’t read my handwriting, I make all of my lists using the handy dandy Notes app on my iPhone. For example, here’s my most recent and very legible grocery shopping list.Most of the items on the above list (except for the ice cream) were dictated to me by my wife. As I walk around the grocery store, pick up the items on the list, and drop them into the shopping cart, I use the text strikethrough feature of the app to indicate that I’ve secured the item in question so that when I get home my wife won’t yell at me for forgetting something.

And yes, I’ve got a holiday gift list going, too. But that’s top secret, so, sorry, but I can’t post it here.

I’m a strong advocate of lists. They keep me organized and without them, I probably wouldn’t get anything done.

9 thoughts on “SoCS — The List Maker

1. ruddjr December 5, 2020 / 7:49 am

I keep a basic list on my Ipad and then add to it when I run out of something. Makes it easy to email my list to my grocery shopper.

2. Marleen December 5, 2020 / 8:47 am

Sparked my hunger. What I would most like to have from the list right now is Brussel sprouts. I think I have some in the freezer.

3. Maggie December 5, 2020 / 9:15 am

I use my notes app a lot, but only for grocery lists and the random things I was to cut and paste later.

4. bikerchick57 December 5, 2020 / 10:16 am

Shopping lists are great! I’ve been doing online/curbside shopping these days, so all I need is a post-it note or a piece of scrap paper to make my shopping list. It doesn’t always come out perfect if the store gives me the wrong item or I forget that I want three of something rather than just one, but it works for the most part. Your use of a list and strike through is a good idea – I’ll have to try that when I start ambling through the stores again.

5. Laura December 6, 2020 / 12:57 pm

That Notes app is saving me!

• Fandango December 6, 2020 / 11:04 pm

I use it for all of my lists.

6. Carol anne December 6, 2020 / 9:09 pm

No, me either! I love lists! I’m a lists type of gal!

7. leigha66 December 13, 2020 / 6:51 pm

It seems the older I get the more lists I need. Even just for three or four things at the store I have to write them down. I suppose I could blame it on Fibro Fog, but I know I have used lists for many years before the fibromyalgia was diagnosed.

Comments are closed.