Fandango’s Flashback Friday — December 4

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 4th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on my old blog on December 4, 2009.

Oh the Iron-y of it All

Christmas is 21 days away and the insanity has already started. No, I’m not talking about Black Friday mall shopping or Cyber Monday web-shopping. I’m talking about the crazies who believe that Christmas is under siege by non-believers. I’m talking about the radio stations that have converted over to all Christmas music all the time. (Hey, I don’t mind an occasional Christmas carol every once in a while, but constant Christmas music? Fuhgeddaboudit!)

I’m also talking about what also seems to occur with some regularity around this time of the year: the sightings of images of Jesus and/or the Virgin Mary in very unlikely places. Back in July I posted about a rash of Virgin Mary sightings. She was seen everywhere, from bird droppings on a truck’s mirror to a grilled cheese sandwich to a restaurant’s griddle to a building’s window.

The Jesus Iron

The latest holy sighting, though, is not the Virgin Mary, but her immaculately conceived son, Jesus. As we enter this year’s holiday season, Jesus apparently chose to show himself on the bottom of an iron! Indeed, Mary Jo Coady of Methuen, MA saw the image of Jesus staring back at her on the slightly stained bottom of her iron. She then did what anyone would do. She took a picture of it.

To make sure she wasn’t imagining Jesus’ appearance on her iron, she called her daughters and shared the photo of the Jesus iron with them. Both of Mary Jo’s daughters confirmed seeing the image of Jesus on the iron, proving without doubt that “it” runs in the family. Mary Jo then posted the picture — where else? — on her Facebook account.

Ultimately, a local newspaper heard about it published the story about Mary Jo and her iron, including a picture of the appliance. The Associated Press picked up the story and, well, now Mary Jo’s Jesus iron is famous.

Unlike others, though, such as, for example, the New Mexico café owner who erected a shrine around her Virgin Mary griddle or the Florida woman who auctioned her decade old, half-eaten Virgin Mary grilled cheese sandwich on eBay, Mary Jo says she’s not planning to enshrine her iron or to open up her home for public viewing and praying (or for an opportunity to iron with Jesus). But she does plan to purchase a new iron and to retire the holy Walmart-brand iron and put it aside for “safe keeping.”

I found it interesting that her church pastor, Rev. Thomas Keyes, who has not yet seen the divine iron, seemed a bit skeptical. He believes that God or saints might choose to appear “in person, as opposed to on a toaster, a cinnamon roll, a car’s windshield, a Frito, or whatever. But then, God does what he wants.” Good for Rev. Keyes, but isn’t it a bit ironic (pun intended) that a Catholic priest expressed cynicism about this holy iron? After all, if you look carefully at the bottom of the iron, you could argue that it wasn’t the image of Jesus, but that of Howard Stern, that was pressed into the bottom of that not-so-stainless steel Walmart iron.

Jesus or Howard Stern: who is the real “iron” man?

That said, I wish all of you a happy holiday season, especially to those who get offended when people use the inclusive “season’s greetings” or “happy holidays” instead of the exclusive “Merry Christmas.”

33 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flashback Friday — December 4

• Mister Bump UK December 4, 2020 / 12:09 pm

Do you remember a while ago I posted about this survey which had some ridiculous percentage of people believing that chocolate milk came from brown cows? It’s the same level of gullibility as seeing figures on irons!

• Fandango December 4, 2020 / 12:48 pm

I do remember that survey you posted. But wait, are you saying that chocolate milk doesn’t come from brown cows? 😏

1. Mason Bushell December 4, 2020 / 3:47 am

This is a good post, Fandango.

I’m an under-sieger myself. In the UK we’re not allowed to put ‘Easter’ on our chocolate eggs because it upsets those of other religions and they want Christmas hidden too. It annoys because we don’t go to other countries and demand they hide their religious days and ceremonies. We actually respectfully take part as much as we can. Why then should we be forced to hide what we do when they come here?

I add that I respect all religions and feel they all have a place and right to believe in whatever they like here in the UK and indeed the world. Its just that they need to respect each other for once.

• BeckyB December 4, 2020 / 6:21 am

Really? I live in England and haven’t heard about this

• BeckyB December 4, 2020 / 7:29 am

I suspect it is more to do with the fact that having Easter on it stops them being bought early rather than anyone saying it can’t be on them

• Mason Bushell December 4, 2020 / 7:34 am

No, this was put in place do to complaints and petitions made by mainly Indian communities I believe.

• BeckyB December 4, 2020 / 7:40 am

Sounds like one of those urban myths to me . .

• Fandango December 4, 2020 / 11:10 am

That does seem extreme to ban “Easter” from appearing on chocolate eggs or to “hide” Christmas. I’m an atheist, so I celebrate neither Easter nor Christmas, at least in the religious sense. But living in the U.S., which is predominantly Christian, it’s something inescapable and I recognize and appreciate that people want to celebrate their religious holidays. But sometimes it gets out of hand, like starting to play Christmas songs even before Halloween or to get angry when people say “Happy Holidays” or “Season’s Greetings” instead of “Merry Christmas.” I think people should be tolerant of everyone’s beliefs, and neither try to impose their own beliefs on other nor to prevent others from celebrating holidays the way they wish to.

• Mason Bushell December 4, 2020 / 11:18 am

I totally agree. I would never stop nor victimise anyone for celebrating their holidays.

• Fandango December 4, 2020 / 11:18 am

We all need a laugh every once in a while. Thanks for letting me know.

2. newepicauthor December 4, 2020 / 9:50 am

People have an inherent need to create patterns and apophenia is the tendency to perceive meaningful connections between unrelated things.

• Fandango December 4, 2020 / 11:21 am

Apophenia. I learned a new word today. Thanks, Jim.

3. Marleen December 4, 2020 / 8:41 pm

Not-so-stainless-steel irony, indeed. 🙄

It’s just almost too funny to laugh.

4. leigha66 December 12, 2020 / 6:02 pm

Personally, I think it looks more like the Mona Lisa. Great post!

• Marleen December 12, 2020 / 8:05 pm

I thought that, too! 😂

5. Carol anne December 21, 2020 / 3:18 am

now that was a hoot fandango! Jesus at the bottom of an iron? Lol I’ve heard it all now! 😛

Comments are closed.