Who Won the Week? 11/29/2020

FWWTWIt’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

Back in 1970 I was a long-haired hippie. I was proud of my long hair. It was my freak flag, so to speak, and had no intention of getting it cut, even though my boss at a job I had just gotten at a local RadioShack was putting some pressure on me to at least trim it back in order to be more “presentable” at my customer-facing job.

I was debating on my drive home from work whether or not to succumb to my boss’ demand that I cut my hair, when I heard this song from Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young on the radio.

After hearing David Crosby’s song, I decided to quit my job at RadioShack.

Speaking of RadioShack, do you remember RadioShack? It used to be a fixture at large shopping malls, small strip malls, and small town main streets across America for decades. At its peak, it operated stores under either the name RadioShack or Tandy in the United States, Mexico, United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada.

But between large electronics box stores like Best Buy, and online sites like Amazon, RadioShack fell on hard times. Somewhere along the way, “The Shack” got lost. Even with the early successes of its TRS-80 (sometimes referred to as the “Trash-80) personal computer, RadioShack was not able to capitalize on the PC boom that began in the mid-’80s. It also found itself largely on the outside of the portable device revolution as it drifted toward irrelevancy. In February 2015, RadioShack Corporation filed for Chapter 11 protection under United States bankruptcy law after 11 consecutive quarterly losses.

Well, after two bankruptcies, it seems that RadioShack has, once again, been pulled from the brink. An entrepreneurial investment firm hopes to make RadioShack competitive again, this time online, rather than with brick and mortar stores on street corners or in shopping centers. The plan is to build a vast online marketplace on top of the RadioShack brand.

So, in its effort to resurrect itself. I’m designating RadioShack as this week’s Who Won the Week winner. Good luck, RadioShack. Maybe the third time is the charm.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

In addition to my Who Won the Week prompt, this post included the words “hair,” “flag,” and “home from today’s Three Things Challenge prompt from Di at Pensitivity101, and the word “succumb” from Fandango’s One-Word Challenge.

16 thoughts on “Who Won the Week? 11/29/2020

1. Mister Bump UK November 29, 2020 / 9:13 am

Yeah, they traded as Tandy here, and I used to love their shops, real Aladdin’s Caves. The things there, you just couldn’t get anyplace else.

2. Marilyn Armstrong November 29, 2020 / 10:25 am

Owen worked at and eventually managed a Radio Shack. I never bought their big stuff, but it was a really convenient place to pick up wire, jacks, plugs — all those little things that we have to send for these days. It was very convenient.

3. relaxitsallwrite November 29, 2020 / 11:12 am

Radio Shack was definitely a mainstay throughout my youth. Interesting post, and funny submission 🙂

4. Marleen November 29, 2020 / 12:11 pm

Everyone should quit at least one job early on, on principle.

5. Aimee Nekoranik November 29, 2020 / 2:58 pm

I kinda feel like I should designate Roy Rogers since it’s no longer around…well, I know there’s a limited few off some highway rest stops. I also used to work at our local RR way back when I was 16…ish. I would tell my friends to come during lunchtime when it was busy. That way I would shout out extra food to be made to the kitchen (that was our high-tech way of communication 😂)
    Then I’d give the extra food to my friends. Sadly, it went out of business and was taken over by Boston Market. That’s when I decided to venture out to the mall setting for employment and got a job at Spencers lol.

• Fandango November 29, 2020 / 7:39 pm

Mmm, I used to love the Double R Bar Burgers at Roy Rogers!

6. Marleen December 1, 2020 / 3:03 am

This conversation happened on Friday (day after Thanksgiving). It is labeled The Affordable Covid Medicine the CDC and Big Pharma Aren’t Talking About (ft. Dr. Kory and Dr. Osgood).

• Marleen December 1, 2020 / 5:00 am

Most people will want to start at nine minutes and fifty-two seconds into the video: 9:52

Also… here is the website mentioned in the video as where to access the science: https://covid19criticalcare.com/

7. leigha66 December 6, 2020 / 9:11 pm

A Radio Shack… the last place I was able to still get blank 8 tracks in the 80s. (I inherited my sister’s stereo complete with 8 track) I remember they used to have coupons in the paper for free flashlights… we had SO MANY of them in our house. Maybe they can make a go of it this time.