Thanksgiving Flashback

What a difference a year makes. I originally wrote this post on Thanksgiving Day last year. My wife and I were hosting six other people at our home and we were busy getting ready for everyone to head over to our place by around 2:00 pm. This was in the Before Times — before COVID-19, before social distancing, before face mask wearing. Before some 13 million Americans had fallen ill with the coronavirus and more than a quarter million had died from it.

This year, it’s just going to be my wife and me. We have a small turkey, and my wife will be preparing some stuffing, mashed potatoes, and a green bean casserole for dinner. And we bought an apple pie at the grocery store for dessert. For just the two of us. With enough leftovers to maybe last until Saturday.

It won’t be the same as past Thanksgivings, but we are thankful that, even though we won’t be physically enjoying the holiday with family and friends, we’ll be together with them in spirit. And we are thankful that all of us are healthy and COVID-free.

So enjoy my Thanksgiving Day post from last year, and I hope that you and yours have a great Thanksgiving Day today.

Today is Thanksgiving in the United States, and many Americans, if not most, have the day off from work or school. As an American, I’m also taking the day off. From blogging, that is.

I won’t really have the time nor the opportunity to WordPress today. My wife and I are hosting Thanksgiving dinner for eight this afternoon and evening. Joining us will be our son and his wife, our daughter and her live-in boyfriend, and two of our other local friends whose families live in other parts of the country.

My wife will be spending most of the day preparing the Thanksgiving meal, and I’ll be spending most of the morning, anyway, making sure our house is spic and span so that my wife won’t be embarrassed. And I’ll also be on kitchen cleanup duty so that as she dirties pots and pans, I will be washing and drying them.

The good news is that not one among our guests is a Trump supporter, so that won’t be a concern. But the bad news is that I won’t have much time to post anything or to read what you all post today. I’ll do my best to catch up tonight after everyone leaves…unless I eat so much at dinner that about all I’ll be able to do is waddle to bed.

So to those of you in the United States, I hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving. And to those of you elsewhere, I hope you have a great Thursday.

I’ll be back in business tomorrow!

Cartoon credit: Mark Parisi.

23 thoughts on “Thanksgiving Flashback

1. Sadje November 26, 2020 / 7:14 am

Hope you enjoy thanksgiving with your wife and long-distance family

2. Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2020 / 8:22 am

100%, that’s us, except we also have Owen. Small boneless leg’o’lam, baked potatoes, Owen is baking bread (1st kneading in progress). One more rising, then the BAKING! Exciting, eh? Maybe by next year we’ll progress to roll! Hot rolls, be still my heart.

3. Melanie B Cee November 26, 2020 / 10:02 am

I was invited to sibling’s house and will go. I’m in charge of “yams’. I don’t like them, my brother’s wife and his children don’t like them, he’s the only one who enjoys them. I don’t mind making them. I did the green bean casserole last year too. I’m also taking pumpkin pie and whipped cream. It’ll be six of us (seven?) .. I was leery because my sibling travels all over the country (he’s not caught anything yet, somehow), and his youngest works at a local restaurant that had a Covid scare and was under house quarantine for two weeks. That young man is negative too. But still. It’ll be odd being at a dinner that way. I bought myself a turkey and will roast that at Christmas I suppose, because I seriously love turkey. Happy T-day to you too Fandango! Mind the effects of tryptophan (I think that’s how you spell it)…though!

• Fandango November 26, 2020 / 2:55 pm

Enjoy you Thanksgiving meal, Melanie. I’m not big on yams, either.

4. Marleen November 26, 2020 / 12:00 pm

Robby Robertson and the Red Road Ensemble

5. newepicauthor November 26, 2020 / 12:25 pm

I read that the average Thanksgiving dinner takes 16 hours to prepare and that it is consumed in 12 minutes, which corresponds to an average football halftime break.

6. Taswegian1957 November 26, 2020 / 1:55 pm

I hope that you have an enjoyable day. At least you have something to be thankful for this year. A Biden win.

• Fandango November 26, 2020 / 3:26 pm

I just realized that you share your blog with “Human59” (Naomi). Did you know that she and I got into a fairly contentious “dialogue” a few days ago in the comments section of one of my posts? She is not a fan of Democrats or liberals. And she’s pretty rude. Bug, you know, different strokes for different folks, as they say.

• Fandango November 26, 2020 / 10:54 pm

I know that your blog is politics free, but your blogging partner doesn’t hesitate to voice her political opinions in comments on others’ posts (or at least on mine). You have been nothing but polite and supportive and I really do appreciate that.

7. Kally November 26, 2020 / 7:08 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones.

“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.” — Melody Beattie

• Marleen November 26, 2020 / 7:44 pm

Lovely thoughts to share, Kally.

8. leigha66 December 4, 2020 / 2:55 pm

I hope your cozy little Thanksgiving was a good one for you and your wife, Next year… it will be Biden in the White House and Covid heading to the dead diseases pile after a successful vaccine spreds across the world. Hey, it never hurts to dream a little!