iPhone Upgrade

My new iPhone 12 Pro Max arrived yesterday and within an hour I had it all set up. I basically placed my old iPhone 8 Plus next to my new iPhone 12 Pro Max and it automagically transferred the entire contents of my old iPhone to my new iPhone.

So, how do I feel about my new iPhone? Well, first, as you can see from this photo above, physically, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is only a fraction of an inch taller than the iPhone 8 Plus (6.33 inches versus 6.24 inches, respectively).

iPhone 12 Pro Max display taken with iPhone 8 Plus camera

Second, from the standpoint of the actual screen display size, the iPhone 12 Pro Max (above) is around 22% larger than that of the iPhone 8 Plus (below).

iPhone 8 Plus display taken with iPhone 12 Pro Max camera

That’s mostly because the top and bottom of the iPhone 12 Pro Max are not taken up by the bezels on the bottom with the Home button and on the top with the front-facing camera and the receiver. Instead, those spaces have been incorporated into the display.

Third, the cameras on the 12 Pro Max are far superior to those on the 8 Plus. Just compare the picture of the home screen on my iPhone 12 Pro Max with the one of the iPhone 8 Plus. Look how much sharper the picture of the iPhone 8 Plus home screen taken with the iPhone 12 Pro Max is than is the one of the iPhone 12 Pro Max home screen, taken with the iPhone 8 Plus.

Fourth, the Pro Max is noticeably faster than the 8 Plus and the battery lasts a whole lot longer. That’s what a new, faster chip and a new battery will do for speed and battery life.

But that’s where the good news ends. While the display on the 12 Pro Max is larger, neither the home screen nor any of the apps that run on the 12 Pro Max have been optimized to take advantage of the larger display size. For example, on the home screen, the only difference is that there is more space between the last row of apps on that page and the row of fixed apps at the bottom. And that is the case with most apps, including the WordPress app for iOS. So where I thought that it might be easier to use the block editor on the larger display of the 12 Pro Max, it’s not. Hence, I will be continuing to use the classic-lite editor that is on the WordPress app for iOS.

Maybe, over time, the app developers, including those at WordPress, will catch up with the fact that the 12 Pro Max has a much larger screen and they, the app developers, will develop apps that can take full advantage of that additional screen real estate.

35 thoughts on “iPhone Upgrade

• Fandango November 25, 2020 / 4:22 pm

Well, unless your current iPhone is about to die, I’d say probably not.

• Lisa M. Boyd November 25, 2020 / 4:27 pm

As long as I will still live then I am great with my iPhone 8 Plus. I love my phone actually! 👍

• Fandango November 25, 2020 / 4:35 pm

My battery on my 8 Plus barely lasted half a day, but I admit it was almost always in use during the day. And I also felt a significant slow down in speed. So that’s what motivated me to upgrade. Oh. The cameras are really, really good in the 12 Pro Max.

1. Sadje November 25, 2020 / 6:19 pm

That’s a bit disappointing. I hope the experience improves with time.

• Sadje November 25, 2020 / 8:12 pm

Maybe it would at some point. Congrats on your new phone.

2. lifelessons November 25, 2020 / 7:41 pm

I love mine.. It has changed my life, although I’ve somehow erased my Apple TV from it and can’t figure out how to get it back. It doesn’t show up on Apps.

3. Marilyn Armstrong November 25, 2020 / 8:39 pm

Owen is still waiting to get his delivered. It should be any day now. He didn’t have a choice. His older iPhone was slowly giving up the ghost.

I don’t know if you’ve upped your IOS to 14.whatever it is, but it includes a “home” button. On the screen. Apparently not having a home buttons was driving everyone. I would have rather had the button, but the good thing is you can move the “home” graphic around the screen since it tends to land right in the middle of whatever you are doing.

I have the smaller one and it’s just fine. If I wanted to blog, I’d get a iPad. Garry has one. It’s the computer he takes to bed with him.

• Fandango November 25, 2020 / 10:24 pm

I don’t have a home button on my new phone, but I swipe up from the bottom to open my Home Screen.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2020 / 8:48 am

This just showed up in last week’s OS download. Maybe it only applied so some phones and not others? But it’s part of the last 14.something-or-other download, last week. I can’t see why they would do this on some phones, not others.

• Fandango November 26, 2020 / 9:48 am

I Googled “home button” on iOS 14 and found out how to activate a virtual home button, but after activating and using it for about an hour, I got rid of it. I found it easier to just swipe up.

4. leigha66 December 3, 2020 / 9:58 pm

Congratulations on your new phone, That is a bummer that it didn’t improve your WordPress experience. Maybe later this month the happiness engineers will give the gift of an upgrade that works right.