Fandango’s Provocative Question #97

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

I have a confession to make. It’s getting more and more challenging for me to come up with unique and truly provocative questions each week. I’m not sure how much longer, after almost two years of posting weekly provocative questions, I’ll be able to keep this prompt going. But I’m going to continue as long as I can to come up with something that will stimulate you to respond.

That said, if any of you have suggestions for provocative questions that you’d like me to pose here, please reach out to me using my contact page or email me directly at fivedotoh@outlook.com.

With that said, here’s this week’s provocative question:

Is it more important to you to be able to help yourself, help your family, help your friends, help your society, or help the world?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

26 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #97

• Fandango November 25, 2020 / 3:02 pm

Thanks, Melanie. I saw your email and I appreciate you suggesting this sites.

1. Marilyn Armstrong November 25, 2020 / 12:35 pm

How about asking one of those basic questions, like “Of the major issues facing us, which do you think is the most urgent? List can include medical care, dealing with the climate, finding a way to manage our racist society, taking care of national infrastructure … etc. And — each one of those issues is on its own, a question. What kind of medical care do you think we should have — and why? Where do we start on climate issues: carbon emissions, the oceans, finding a more realistic way to deal with recycling … ad nauseum. I know you don’t want to get so specific that you leave out a lot of people, but there really ARE a lot of issues and it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to make people think about them and maybe what they can do about it. Just some thought.

My post will be up tomorrow just past midnight.

2. CARAMEL November 25, 2020 / 1:25 pm

I am not sure how many people have had the opportunity to work full-time unpaid for years. But working to help others brings a joy that is priceless. I would choose to sleep on a rough floor and wash myself and my clothes using a bucket of water to see the faces of the people who we are training. It is truly precious.

Many people in the western world live in a state of luxury and yet they consider themselves poor, they think they are deprived. They are worried about losing their luxuries, the standard of life they are used to even though a billion people go to bed hungry and have never had commodities like a flushing toilet or a washing machine or fridge.

People use a car to drive when they could easily walk. Ironically, they sometimes use the car to drive to the gym. Senseless!

It is sickening to see the divide in this horribly mismanaged planet. It is grossly monstrous.

In an extreme situation – what would sustain you to endure extreme hardship? I remember vividly the lessons the concentration camp survivors taught us. I remember those who said that when they were ill, they were kept alive by other prisoners sharing a little of their meagre food with them.

I cannot make sense of the way Western lands are so worried about maintaining the luxurious lifestyle of their citizens when the poverty of so many people on this planet is on the precipice of becoming dire.

I am not sure why the governments are worried about saving a corrupt economy that is built on greed and over-consumption rather than sustainable factors and care for our beautiful planet.

But at the end of the day, the decisions that governments make are sometimes influenced by Joe Public. If Joe Public who has a flushing toilet and a fridge feels hard done by he will winge and wail if he thinks he is worse off than he was a year ago. If Joe Public does not care about correcting the imbalance in this world…neither will Joe Public’s government.

Sorry to rant. I am sometimes so shocked at the stupid things westerners say. I would like for economic exchange programmes to be established. People in western lands should be assigned a year or so overseas in a land where none of the typical mod-cons in a Western household are available.

Ironically, I know they would come back happier, healthier people, far more useful and far more appreciative.

• Fandango November 25, 2020 / 2:36 pm

We are products of our environments and our societies. Those of us who are fortunate enough to live in a western country, rather than in a third-world country, have more options, more choices, and while we may seem selfish or self-absorbed, our own safety, health, and wellbeing is necessary for us to consider the needs of others. Survival is an inherent drive we all possess, and in terms of the human hierarchy of needs, survival is critical. Most of us in western civilizations don’t often have to be preoccupied with survival. And that’s good news. But it’s natural to focus on one’s own basic needs and making sure they are at least minimally satisfied before trying to help others. That said, I find your altruism to be exemplary and admirable.

• Lady A November 25, 2020 / 3:26 pm

We have a pampered generation and I expect they are going to encounter “hardship” for the first time in their lives. Worse still, a lot of them have been immersed in violent entertainment. I am afraid that we have a ticking time bomb on our hands – a social crisis that will not be cured by a vaccination.

• CARAMEL November 25, 2020 / 4:13 pm

I just hope that there are also plenty of people who love good and love right.
        I find it hard to think about the violent acts people have trained themselves to commit.
        Yet this is what happens in hard times – we see some people at their absolute best, the height of goodness and unselfish love….and at the same time we see other people at the most inhumane unimaginable end of the spectrum.
        It’s easy to be a “decent” sort of person when times are prosperous. In times of hardship, people have their metal tested.

3. Irene November 26, 2020 / 6:29 am

I have to say family always first, then it is all a blur of all the other sectors shifting positions as circumstances change, too. It is strange how the more we have does not necessarily brings us to give more, but I think one of the few positive effects of the pandemic is that it has made many realize that love, health and safety are not to be taken for granted, and that giving time, material resources and support to society and the world at large, will ultimately bring those immaterial gifts to friends, family and oneself.

• Fandango November 26, 2020 / 12:45 pm

I think you’re right about the pandemic bring us together to recognize the values of health and safety. Well, most of us recognize that.