Truthful Tuesday — Love and Work

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. This week Frank shares with us that old adage, “If you do what you love, you’ll never work a day in your life.”

Then he asks us us:

Do you now or have you ever been employed doing what you love?

Love is a strong word. I’ve had jobs that I really enjoyed, that I liked, and that I was good at. But did I ever had a job that I “loved”? Probably not.

Do you agree with this saying or is it a bunch of poppycock, and why?

I have a different old saying (or maybe it’s not an old saying but something I just made up). Anyway, it’s this:

You shouldn’t live to work, you should work to live.

In other words, your job should be a means to an end. It should enable and facilitate living a comfortable, fulfilling, and rewarding life. And if you like and enjoy your job, that’s a bonus. But your job should not be the most important thing in your life.

Finally, take it from someone who, at times, allowed what he did to define who he was and then retired four years ago — if your job defines who you are, you’re going to be lost once you no longer have your job.

10 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Love and Work

1. Mister Bump UK November 24, 2020 / 11:48 am

It’s funny, I generally think along the same lines as you but on this one I’d be pretty different.

• Fandango November 24, 2020 / 1:31 pm

So are you going to participate in Frank’s prompt to share your differences?

• Mister Bump UK November 24, 2020 / 10:55 pm

I’m still thinking about it. I’ve never done so before, but it’ll largely depend on how much time I have. Thursdays are generally less busy.

2. Taswegian1957 November 24, 2020 / 1:22 pm

I’m definitely one of the “Work to live not live to work” group. I did enjoy working for the railways until the last couple of years and I enjoyed working in hotels until the last year or so too. However, for me work was always about earning enough to have the necessities of life and a bit left over for the fun stuff that I really cared about.

3. Sadje November 24, 2020 / 7:47 pm

I think your adage is absolutely true. Work for making a comfortable living but don’t let it define you.

• Fandango November 24, 2020 / 10:22 pm

Sadly, more probably feel that way than love their job.

4. leigha66 December 1, 2020 / 8:52 pm

I loved what I did, but when management changed it made it an unappreciated job with very little support. So I believe you can love what you do but still hate your job… cashiering was fun with my regulars coming back, but upper management made it a LOT less fun to be there.