Hurry Up and Wait

I was excited the other day when I saw that WordPress had pushed out an update to its iOS app for the iPhone. I was sure that version 16.1.1 had a fix to the Reader issue that by now you are no doubt tired of hearing me whine about.

After it installed on my iPhone, I opened the app, went to my Reader, and clicked “Visit” on a post that I had been unable to like or comment on after the previous update. Unfortunately, even with this new update, I was still unable to like or comment. Bummer.

So I sent a message to the happiness engineers.

I was disappointed yesterday, after installing version 16.1.1 of the WordPress app for iOS, that the issue with the WordPress Reader that surfaced when version 16.0 was installed, and for which I’ve been exchanging messages with various happiness engineers since November 3rd, is still unresolved. I hope your team will be releasing a fix for this issue in short order.

The response I got essentially reminded me that Rome wasn’t built in a day. Here’s the answer I received:

We understand this is frustrating. But even with high priority issues, it does not mean the fix will be released in the next update. Some things take longer to fix than others. We don’t have an ETA on this one yet, but our developers are working on it. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

So I guess I’m in a hurry up and wait mode and the happiness engineers at WordPress will be taking their sweet time getting around to fixing the issue. As the old song says, they’ll be coming ’round the mountain when they come.

15 thoughts on “Hurry Up and Wait

1. Mister Bump UK November 22, 2020 / 6:39 am

That doesn’t sound unreasonable, given you’ve uncovered a pretty fundamental problem. Do they publish release notes?

• Fandango November 22, 2020 / 11:48 am

They include “highlights” (not what in my experience I’d deem to be “release notes”) with each update. These “notes” are rudimentary.

2. newepicauthor November 22, 2020 / 11:06 am

You have been doing some squeaking about this issue and one day you will get the grease.

• Fandango November 22, 2020 / 11:54 am

I hope so. And yes, I imagine most of you are tired of my squeaky-wheel shtick on this topic.

3. rugby843 November 22, 2020 / 11:20 am

I’m getting emails every day from WP saying to sign up for a new deal. What now?

• Fandango November 22, 2020 / 11:58 am

I just ignore most email from WordPress.

4. Marilyn Armstrong November 22, 2020 / 2:03 pm

And they won’t tell you when they fix it. They will install it and you’ll discover it yourself. Eventually.

5. Carol anne November 23, 2020 / 7:14 am

Lolling at your last line! They would want to take their heads outa their ass and fix the issue! They are so slow!