Share Your World — About Cereal, Toys, and Pets

Share Your WorldIt’s Monday and that means that Melanie has graced us with another edition of Share Your World. This time Melanie wants to know…

Is cereal soup? Why or why not?

No. Try putting Cheerios and milk into a sauce plan and heating it up for a few minutes and you’ll quickly see that cereal is not soup. Cereal is cereal and soup is soup, just like day is day, night is night, meat is meat, and fish is fish.

What are some interesting ways to answer everyday questions like “how’s it going” or “what do you do”?

These are examples of perfunctory questions that people ask without really expecting or even wanting an answer. That said, if someone asks me, “How’s it going?” I would typically say, “Fine and you?” But maybe someday I’ll instead say, “Well, tell me what it is and I’ll tell you how it’s going.

And if someone asks, “What do you do?” I might answer, “That depends upon how much time and how much money you have.”

What was your favorite toy growing up?

Probably my Etch-a-Sketch. I used to spend hours with that thing. I wish we had digital photography back then so I could have taken pictures of some of the more elaborate sketches I painstakingly created.

If you have a pet, and you could ask it three questions, what would you ask?

We are down to one pet now that our dog is gone. The three questions I’d like to ask our cat are:

1. Why do you insist on jumping up on the table and sitting down right on top of my newspaper every morning when I’m having my first cup of coffee and trying to read the paper?
  2. Why at 5:00 every morning do you jump on the bed, walk on my body, and start kneading the blanket. Can’t you wait just another hour or two?
  3. What’s up with those gross hairballs that you spit up every few days? A little warning might be nice.

What’s one simple thing society at large could do to improve our world?

Wear a goddam face mask when you go out in public and keep your distance.

15 thoughts on “Share Your World — About Cereal, Toys, and Pets

1. Marleen November 16, 2020 / 2:51 pm

That’s a great picture of your cat. And those are engaging questions for such a pet.

It would be interesting to see the complex etchings you applied yourself to creating.

• Marleen November 16, 2020 / 4:40 pm

You are welcome. Of course the photo of the feline stood out — and reflects the personality; couldn’t help but to do.

You worded well the difference between cereal and soup. And, as well, I enjoyed your answers for “everyday” questions.

2. Taswegian1957 November 16, 2020 / 4:05 pm

Etch a Sketch was a great toy. I was also very fond of Spirograph. I imagine that your cat would probably reply to the first two questions that obviously your attention was required at those times and how dare you read the paper instead of attending to ME.

3. Sadje November 16, 2020 / 6:15 pm

Wearing a mask would save so many lives and prevent the spread.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 16, 2020 / 7:43 pm

I am so used to having a mask in my reach at all times, it didn’t occur to me to mention it. But you are right. People are idiots. My granddaughter explained that she and her friends don’t bother with masks and I decided not to bother to invite her to this house until the pandemic is over. Because the kid will kill me and she doesn’t even realize it.

• Fandango November 16, 2020 / 10:04 pm

The “kids” think they’re immune because Donald Trump keeps telling them that they are.

• Marleen November 17, 2020 / 9:09 am

I feel sorry (at best) for any “kids” listening (in the taking in “information” category [rather than within an observation of data points mode for analysis]) to Donald Trump.

I must add that I was a bit annoyed, maybe a week ago (although… better late than never), when it finally came out [not from Trump] that studies have shown wearing a mask protects YOU. Before that, the “talking point” was that it helps you protect others.

I have a son (while they are all intelligent) who is very data driven (in a bit of a different way from my use of the word earlier in this comment). He absolutely couldn’t take in the idea, prior, from me, that wearing a mask is a little bit of protection for yourself, too. I just quit talking. He wasn’t going to listen.

It seems obvious, to me. But it’s “not true” until there’s a test.

He was already wearing a mask… when he goes shopping and so forth. So there was no practical difference to be gained.

I’m going to bring it up again. See what he says.

4. Marilyn Armstrong November 16, 2020 / 7:35 pm

i have a theory about cats. They follow your eyes and sit wherever they are pointed. That’s why they ALWAYS sit not only on your paper, but on the actual article you are reading. They do not want your attention diverted from THEM.

And what’s with the soup or cereal thing? Hot rice crispies sounds revolting.

• Fandango November 16, 2020 / 9:58 pm

I think you’re right about cats. And also about the cereal/soup question.

5. amoralegria November 16, 2020 / 9:58 pm

I love your cat photo! The cat is thinking your questions are really annoying! Wearing a mask – I answered the same way. It is so frustrating to me that people believe Trump over their doctors, and that a simple thing like wearing a mask (and none of us actually like it, but we care about our health and that of others) could shorten the period we have to deal with this virus. Those people who refuse to wear masks are prolonging this pandemic for everybody!

• Fandango November 16, 2020 / 10:09 pm

You’re so right about those who refuse to wear masks. It’s really a shame how Trump made wearing face masks into a political issue.

6. Melanie B Cee November 17, 2020 / 9:00 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World. I fully agree about the face masks. How %$@#! entitled and stupid can a person be right now? It’s not all about THEM, it’s about EVERYBODY. I want to strangle the idiot. I have noticed lately though (because Utah is in a high red zone (dozens and dozens of new cases every freakin’ day) that most people are wearing them and those who aren’t? Are usually accosted by someone burly and escorted to an exit. Thanks for chiming in and I’m sorry about your dog. This has been a totally shit year for losing pets.

7. leigha66 November 22, 2020 / 3:24 pm

One could argue cereal is soup because not all soups are hot. I know my sister introduced me to a dish from Spain that is cold soup, Gazpacho. So, that ruins your sauce pan theory. Great picture of your cat!