Blogging from an iPhone

Some people might characterize it as a bit of an aberration. But the truth is that, before I retired, I used to blog using my laptop because I worked from home and sat at my desk in my home office most of the day and I needed my laptop for work. But upon my retirement, my life experienced a total paradigm shift. Suddenly I no longer was tied down to a desk or had the need to use the laptop. Most of what I needed a laptop for could be done using my iPhone, and I found the mobility of being able to blog from anywhere at any time was liberating.

The first sign of trouble after I made the switch from a laptop to my iPhone for my blog happened this past August when WordPress abandoned its classic editor, which was a cinch to use on the relatively small screen of an iPhone, in favor of its block editor, which is close to impossible to use on a smartphone screen. What the hell? Was this some kind of evil plot to drive us smartphone users and casual bloggers away from WordPress so that it could cater to commercial sites and business users? Were they trying to provoke us hobby bloggers to leave WordPress?

What began to emerge was a fear, or perhaps a recognition, that my blogging days were potentially numbered. I contacted WordPress about how nice it would be for those of us who blog using our smartphones if they were to give us the option of keeping the classic editor as the default editor. But each reply that I received from WordPress left little doubt that they were 100% committed to the block editor and, for those of us using smartphones for our blogs, it was “too bad, so sad.” I started to lose all credence with WordPress’ claim to be the biggest and best blog hosting site on the internet. Maybe the biggest, but the best?

And then, on top of the block editor, the latest update to the iOS app for the iPhone created a major issue with the Reader that caused difficulties when it came to liking and commenting on other bloggers’ posts. Being just one of the many unhappy fans of the block editor that WordPress had forced on us, now, with the issues of the most recent update to the iOS app, I was really pissed.

Throughout most of the month of November, I exchanged myriad emails with the Happiness Engineers about the iOS app issue. And finally, on Saturday, the Happiness and I were in concert that there was, indeed, a bug in the most recent iOS app update and they were going to try to get it fixed as soon as possible and to release a new update to the app to fix the problem in the Reader on the iPhone.

I’m still waiting on that fix to be delivered, but in the meantime, I ordered a new iPhone 12 Pro Max, which has a display screen that is 6.7 inches, compared with the 5.5 inch display on my current iPhone 8 Plus. The new iPhone won’t be delivered until the first or second week of December. But maybe with a display that is almost 22% larger on the new iPhone, I might even be able to use the block editor!

Written for these daily prompts from yesterday and today: Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (aberration/paradigm), Ragtag Daily Prompt (mobility/emerge), Your Daily Word Prompt (switch/credence), Word of the Day Challenge (plot/provoke), The Daily Spur (reply/concert), and MMA Storytime (fans/November).

17 thoughts on “Blogging from an iPhone

1. lindakempwriter November 16, 2020 / 2:11 pm

This certainly is an ongoing saga, isn’t it? Easily fixed, too, if only WP would listen to its people/customers/bloggers/users.

Hold firm, Fandango and good luck 🙂

2. blindzanygirl November 16, 2020 / 2:15 pm

Yes I too am having priblems when I use my iPhone. Also my new iPad has problems with WP. So as ling as my old iPad works I am ok. But we will see!

3. Marilyn Armstrong November 16, 2020 / 2:56 pm

You are one of the few people who actually NEED a bigger iPhone. My son’s getting one too, but his older phone sort of died. I used my MacAirbook if I want something light with a screen. It weights nothing and it has a 13″ screen. I think this is exactly why I bought it at all.

4. MMA Storytime November 16, 2020 / 3:20 pm

For some reason, I just prefer writing in the old notebook or laptop. The phone is strictly for making memes and playing on social media for me. Once in awhile, some text messages may get tossed around.

• Fandango November 16, 2020 / 3:55 pm

Whatever floats your boat. I think most bloggers use their laptops or desktops for blogging. Those of us who exclusively use our smartphones are likely a small minority.

5. Lisa M. Boyd November 16, 2020 / 3:50 pm

Well now what I am to do? You got the mega mighty of phones! I thought okay cool someone else is blogging with my same phone, but no not anymore 😂. I am sure you will let us know how you like it. Do a user review for us Mac peep’s. I would love to upgrade, but honesty I am quite comfortable with this 8 plus. 🤔

• Fandango November 16, 2020 / 3:59 pm

My 8 plus has served me well over the past three years, but the battery now barely lasts half a day and it seems to run noticeably slower than it used to. Hopefully I’ll get used to the new interface and will enjoy the larger screen.

6. Renard Moreau November 16, 2020 / 5:03 pm

🙂 You should have ordered a new iPad (The screen is much larger than the iPhone’s screen).

• Fandango November 16, 2020 / 5:35 pm

I can’t stick the iPad in the back pocket of my jeans and carry it around with me at all times! 🙂

7. Sadje November 16, 2020 / 8:12 pm

I’ve heard from other bloggers that once you get familiar with the new editor it’s not that bad. I’ll wait till you are adept in it.

• Fandango November 16, 2020 / 10:06 pm

So far, using the iOS app for the iPhone i have successfully avoided the block editor because you can still set the classic editor as your default. But I am pretty sure they’re going to take that option away in the not too distant future.

• Sadje November 16, 2020 / 11:48 pm

I think you’re right. I should try to work with the blockie now!

8. Iain Kelly November 17, 2020 / 12:46 am

No sign of anyone loving the block editor yet, but I am getting used to it on my laptop.

9. leigha66 November 22, 2020 / 3:32 pm

So, you did go to the new phone. You’ll have to let us know how it works with the block editor.