Song Lyric Sunday — Beginnings

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday, Jim Adam’s has given us the theme words, “begin,” “end,” “finish,” and “start.” The first thing that popped into my head was the song “Only the Beginning” from Chicago.

“Only the Beginning” (sometimes referred to just as “Beginnings”) was written by Robert Lamm for the band Chicago and was recorded for its debut album Chicago Transit Authority, which was released in 1969. The song was the band’s second single (after “Questions 67 and 68”), but failed to chart on its initial release. It was re-released in June 1971, backed with “Colour My World.” Both sides became U.S. radio hits, and the combined single climbed to number seven on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. Lamm said “Beginnings” was inspired by a performance by Richie Havens that he attended at the Ash Grove music club in Los Angeles when the group moved to that area.

The song is about when a new relationship begins. It oozes promise and possibilities and that feeling one gets just being with that person…that’s all that matters. The feelings are so intense that the singer is having a hard time putting them into words, and thus, remains mostly silent.

Here are the lyrics to “Only the Beginning.”

When I’m with you
It doesn’t matter where we are
Or what we’re doing
I’m with you, that’s all that matters

Time passes much too quickly
When we’re together laughing
I wish I could sing it to you, whoa oh
I wish I could sing it to you

Oh oh oh oh oh oh whoa oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh whoa oh oh oh
Mostly I’m silent, hmm
Silent

When I kiss you
I feel a thousand different feelings
A cover of chills
All over my body
And when I feel them
I quickly try to decide which one
I should try to put into words, whoa oh
Try to put into words

Oh oh oh oh oh oh whoa oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh whoa oh oh oh

Only the beginning
Only just the start
Oh oh oh oh oh oh whoa oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh whoa oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh whoa oh oh oh

14 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Beginnings

1. Lisa Coleman November 15, 2020 / 7:01 am

Chicago inspired me to play the Coronet in band starting in 6th grade. I was ok at it and switched to the French Horn for high school which I excelled. They were so smooth! 🙂

2. newepicauthor November 15, 2020 / 7:57 am

That must have been some great kiss to feel a thousand different feelings, and be covered with chills all over your body. I would like to get one of those one day, great choice Fandango.

3. Marleen November 17, 2020 / 1:01 pm

From the Beginning

I think that’s from 2005.

• Marleen November 17, 2020 / 1:02 pm

Here is ELP from their beginning year,
      1970 (including Greg Lake — of course):

” Take a Pebble” – Greg Lake and ELP – Live in Zurich 1970

• Fandango November 17, 2020 / 8:07 pm

That is a great song…one of my favorites from ELP.

• Marleen November 17, 2020 / 9:04 pm

It really is terrific.

4. Marleen November 20, 2020 / 5:51 pm

I’m going to sound like a little weenie. One of the first albums I wanted to buy[*] was one by Chicago, because of a song that was new at the time (when I was in middle school). I was sold the “wrong” one (disappointing simply in terms of expectation or intention). And when I wanted to play trombone (which I think was a year or two prior before I knew about Chicago as a group), I was told girls don’t do that. (Nevertheless, I, like two years ago now, bought a nicknack trombone and have it in a place where I see it quite a bit every day.) Anyway, this particular video captures the energy I think grabbed me back then.

[* I traded someone something in exchange for their album of Days of Future Passed rather than going to buy it.]